Thread: Excessive weigh gain...or not?

Fiddle Guest

Default Excessive weigh gain...or not?

Hi
    My baby boy is now 8 weeks old, he was born at 4kg... and now weighs 7kg. Is this excessive. He is in the top 90 percentile.
    I am only breastfeeding, we average 7 feeds a day. He feeds at 3 hour intervals, and feeds for around 10 minutes on each breast.
    Please let me know if I should be concerned,or is this normal. [-o<

Fiddle,
    It sounds perfectly fine to me, He is obviously one hungry boy, so just keep doing what your doing coz it sounds like your milk is doing a great job, pat yourself on the back, you should be extremely proud!!!

=D> =D> =D>

My Indah is approx 8kgs at 6+ months, but a guy from works son is 4 months & is 9.5 kgs! He is same length as Indah & within proportion for him... (both breastfed)

I think it's marvellous that he is doing so well!

That's not excessive at all. Every baby is different and will grow at different rates. he may well thin out over the next few weeks/ months too as he grows longer. You obviously have super good milk is all LOL. And after all, he was a big boy when he was born and bigger babies are already that bit further ahead of smaller bubs IYKWIM?

Fiddle Guest

Thank you for your feedback,now I feel better. Got his length measured today, he has gone from 53cm at birth to 60cm now.

Cheers

Fiddle

My son Jordan is a big boy. He was 3.9 kilo at birth and at his 4 month check up was 10.09 kilo.
    He is fuly breastfed and we have only started him on solids in the last week.
    I wouldnt worry about his weight gain to much. Jordan was putting on a kilo a fortnight at one point.
    People always comment on what a big baby he is but I think he is happy and healthy and thats all that matters.
    You are doing an excellent job feeding your bubs. I wouldnt be concerned.

Fiddle, my boys were all the same too. They all weighed over 8lbs when born and gained weight at a steady rate afterwards being breastfed too. They were all high on the scale/ chart too. Tehya on the other hand is 13 months old and only just 9kgs and 79cms long. Tehya is still breastfed.

As long as bub is happy and your happy, don't stress.

Take care
    Trish

Matthew was the same, he was born 9lb 4ozs (4.2kg) and since then continually put on huge amounts of weight that when I was dischardged from hospital the Midwives called him a little piggy, he has always been on the 97th percentile, he is now 11.5 months of age and is still a 'big boy' with both weight and length (his length is above the 97th percentile).

Your doing everything right.

I think it sounds like he is doing great! We have the opposite thing happening here - & trust me, no matter which way it is it is hard not to worry! Emma averages about 90grams a week, but I have a lovely MCHN who tells me that if your bub is happy & sleeping wel, dont even worry about their weight!

It sounds like he's thriving!
    If you exclusively breastfeeding him, you can't overfeed so I'd just be happy that his weight gains are so good!

a friend of mines boy was 10kg at 4 months and still exclusively breastfed at the time - and was told definitely of no concern - even now he is 8 months and is 13.5kg (nearly the same as my two year old) and when she asked her doc he said not to worry until once he gets moving a bit cause then the weight will even out and you'll be able to tell whether it's excessive or not - note however that he is no longer exclusively breastfed rather he has 5 formula feeds a day, one breastfeed and three solid feeds.

I"m with everyone else while they are exclusively breastfed you won't have an excessive weight issue.

My niece was also a big big baby but once she was up and walking thinned out a lot and just looks a year or two older than she is cause she's tall, fills out her frame (no longer has any fat rolls at all though) (and speaks pretty well)