Thread: Extreme Nappy Rash

Question Extreme Nappy Rash

Poor Mitchell has really copped it badly! I think it could be a mixture of his last teeth coming through and diet ( he has been eating crap lately). Anyway, I will fix the diet thing, the only problem is the rash is SO bad it looks like a burn and any cream applied seems to melt. It comes up really quickly and has been on and off.
    Anyway, I usually use zinc and castor oil, but I thought it needed something thicker, so have been using Bepanthen, and the Antispetic Bepanthen. No good. Also tried another that I can't remember but it is very hard to spread ( a good barrier though) Now it's very distressing for him at nappy change time and the poor little fella is walking like a cowboy.
    He is usually in disposables, but I have put a cloth on him for tonight (which will do nothing but hold stuff in) as I feel it wont be so harsh.
    What else can I do/use?

Eck sounds like you've used all my tricks. When Matilda got burn like nappy rash I would put a small layer of corn flour down & blow so it left a dry layer and then used a vitamen E & Zinc cream. I actually think the trick is to keep them as dry as possible so maybe disposables can do that? Dunno... we've only had it that bad once ourselves yet. The other thing I did was heaps of nappy off time. Matilda wouldn't even go in the bath it was that bad so we would have play time in the shower & try to let her run for at least 30 minutes afterwards so she would be completely dry before trying anything. I also used a lolly to be able to get in & put stuff on her correctly without a huge fight.

Goodluck!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Calendula is fantastic, you might like to try a combo of anti-fungal and a barrier cream? The ONLY thing that worked for me was that sudocrem (sp?) that comes in the grey jar, but another good thing which is hard at the moment is getting his bum in the sun, fresh air - as you know nappy rash is thrush and they love dark, moist places. Good luck, it's nasty stuff sometimes!!! I also found bepanthen to be crap!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Abbey has just had a bad case of nappy rash and the chemist advised us to use Daktozin. its an anti fungal and barrier cream combo and it worked so well..cleared her up in a couple of days but started lookng better almost straight away. I found that no other creams were working.
    HTH

Lucie got really bad thrush on her girly bits after her bout of gastro and nothing would get rid of it. I eventually went to the doc and he said to try Clonea cream (same as Cansitan - anti fungal stuff) and it went in a couple of days. You have to use the cream for a week or so afterwards to stop it coming back. Cream is available over the counter. Good luck!

Kirsty77 Guest

I use Daktozin and have found its the only thing that works on really bad nappy/thrush rash. It did still take a while for it to start to clear up though like 3 days for memory.

Apparently if you put cammomile tea in your baby's nappy, it can heal nappy rash which won't respond to anything else. Good luck, I hope it heals soon.

Colleen Guest

if its not healing Id probaby get it checked out in case its thrush/fungal.

Theresa & Sana, what do you do with the chamomile tea? I'd love to try it for Blake's next bout of NR.

I haven't used the cammomile myself, but it is something a midwife mentioned to me. I think you pour a bit of the cooled tea into the nappy, so they kind of soak in it. The other thing is to actually put a teabag in the bath with your baby .

Thank you for the replies.

I cannot believe I didn't think of Calendula Cream - I used to make my own!
    the cloth nappy worked pretty well after all and he woke up in the best mood ever! He was nappyless all day today and it's healing beautifully. He has nappy off time nearly every morning, but a good 9 hours of it really helped. the very pleasant side effect is that he has being peeing in his potty all day as well!! Not bad for a 2 yrd old methinks! I had no plan to even begin tt until it started getting warmer but he is doing it all on his own.
    I will continue to use a little cream as a barrier for the next couple of days as well.

Thanks again!

Great news!! & Well done Mitchell on TT!! What a star