Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye colour

Default Eye colour

When do babies eyes change colour? Kayla's are such a deep blue and I'm hoping they're gonna stay that way! hehe

DS's eyes teased me, in some lights you could see a hint of blue, but they were so dark I didn't hold out much hope heh, and they've ended up a definite brown, but I can't remember when it happened.

With an asian husband, I haven't held my breath for a blue eyed blonde, but I'm getting a bit excited that my little girl might just have big blue eyes!

Liz I am not sure when they change but I am pretty sure eye colour depends on grandparent's eye colour. My dad had brown eyes and my mum's are blue, so I carry one brown and one blue gene. DH's parents both have blue eyes, so he carries two blue genes. Brown is dominant, so if my egg has a brown gene our baby will have brown eyes (brown beats blue) but if my egg has my mum's blue gene our baby will have blue eyes.

What colour eyes does/did your DH's parents have?

My entire family is blue-eyed, and Dh's entire family has brown (being asian). So I think its pot luck with us! heh. Oh I hope they stay blue. I think she'd just be soooo gorgeous being the mix she is PLUS having big blue eyes. (of course she'll be gorgeous anyway lol)

My DH has choc brown eyes and is half Japanese and mine are hazel but Izzys are still blue! They have flecks of brown in them - her hair is fair too and mine is dark brown and DH has black hair!!!
    There is a site somewhere on google where you enter your familys eye colour including grnad parents and it gives you a % chance of each colour. I think Iz has a 11% chance of them staying blue!!
    Some people say that they should change in a few days, others a few months, others a few years so I guess we may notknow for a while!

Liz all of ours are dark brown haired & DARK brown almost black eyes!!!

A friend of ours son was very pale, light skinned, light brown haired & blue eyes he is now 16/17mths & has dark hair, olive skin & choc brown eyes!??? He is also mixed Aust/Asian..

I wrote in an eye thread once before how the MW refused to believe me that my babies eyes arent blue at birth she said it was Poppy ****! Hmmm, she wouldnt believe me...

I am certain she will be stunning any eye colour!

paradise lost Guest

Everyone has 2 genes for eye colour, one from each parent. Green is recessive to blue is recessive to brown.

So:

1 brown gene + 1 blue (or green) gene = brown eyes
    1 blue gene + 1 green gene = blue eyes
    2 green genes = green eyes
    2 blue genes = blue eyes
    2 brown eyes = brown eyes

So if someone has brown eyes you don't know what colour their kids eyes could be. If someone has blue eyes they could have blue or green-eyed genes, and if someone has green eyes they have 2 recessive green-eye genes (red-hair is also recessive, which is why green eyes are more common among red-haired people than blonde or dark haired people).

So if your DH has a blue gene (which would be silent in an asian family since there would likely always be a brown-eye gene to trump it) your children COULD have blue eyes. My DD has blue eyes and they were blue-grey from about week 3 onwards, but i do know my (asian) friend's baby took until she was 11 months before the blue went completely out of her (heartbreakingly beautiful chocolate-button-brown) eyes.

Bx

I found a predictor http://museum.thetech.org/ugenetics/...alculator.html

72.7% chance of brown, and 13.6% each for blue and green. Cool! hehe

Enchanted Guest

My DH and I both have brown eyes and Oscar's seem to be staying blue. They are not dark in anyway and he has very light coloured hair... I will be very suprised if his eye colour changes (which I don't want it to )

DS's are still changing.
    They will probably go completely brown but at the moment there are still flecks of blue so its official blue/brown hazel.

Our "chances" are.. 50% brown, 37.5% blue 12.5% green

Also with hair colour there are multiple genes involved and it is harder to predict. Red hair can pop up when it hasnt been in either family for generations.

DHs hair was blond til he was 8 and then it gradually got darker, its quite a dark brown now.

I asked my GP at our 6 week check up. I have blue eyes and my daughter had amazing cobalt blue eyes, so I was hoping they would stay that colour (which they have). My GP said they can change colour up until 3 months - good luck!

eye color happens because of at least two separate genes. The first gene, OCA2, comes in two forms, brown (B) and blue (b). The second gene, called gey, comes in two forms, green (G) and blue (b). Here is a table that shows how these genes are thought to work together to create eye colors.

BB bb Brown
    BB Gb Brown
    BB GG Brown
    Bb bb Brown
    Bb Gb Brown
    Bb GG Brown
    bb GG Green
    bb Gb Green
    bb bb Blue

The first thing to notice from this table is that whenever there is a B, there are brown eyes. So B is dominant over both G and b. Also, whenever there is a G (but no B), there are green eyes. So G is dominant over b.

Often, paler newborns have blue eyes, which change to green, hazel, light brown or dark brown, as they grow older. This is probably the origin of the idiom "being blue-eyed" (i.e. na?ve; gullible).
    It is thought that exposure to light after birth triggers the production of melanin in the iris of the eye. By three years of age, the eyes produce and store enough melanin to indicate their natural shade. While changes in eye color of infants are more common, even in adults, eye color changes are seen, most often as a result of exposure to the sun. Sunlight triggers melanin production in the eye, as it does to the skin.
    Last edited by ll80; January 19th, 2008 at 12:42 PM.

My MIL often tells the story that my DH had amazing deep blue eye up until 12mths but his changed to be hazel green/brown.

I would be interested to find a site that could work out eye colours that are mixed eg hazel greens and blues. I often joke that I must be the milkmans daughter because my mum has brown eyes and my dad has blue but I have hazel green.

im not sure when they change, but i know the mum said my eyes were blue til i was 12 months then tey changed green. DS was born with dark blue eyes and at 20 months they are still blue. GL, hope you get your blue eyed girl!

My DS (2.5yrs) has the biggest brightest bluest eyes ever... I have dark brown eyes and my DH has blue eyes that sometimes look a bit green. I thought that brown was dominant. I just did the eye calculator that Liz put in her post above and it said that 20% blue, 13% green and 66% BROWN... Both of my DS's have blue, blue, blue eyes... bizarre!!!

i tried doing that calculator thing but it wont work for me as my mum had grey eyes and my dad has hazel eyes. DH has green/blue eyes and I have blue eyes with a ring of hazel in them. DD has blue eyes and DS has steel blue (blue/grey) eyes.

The scientists are saying that they don't fully understand how eye colour is determined, My husband and I both have hazel (green/brown) eyes, we must have a gene for brown somewhere as we produced a brown eye DD.The eye predictor sites that I have found, say this can't happen that we have a 0% chance of having a brown eye bub if we enter our eyes as green which is the major colour in both our eyes.

nooooooo! don't destroy my faith in the predictor! LOL - It told me there's a chance I could have a blue eyed baby! hehehehe

it depends on you alleles, you have 2.
    Rosehannah did you use the one where you put in your and DHs parents eye colours too.

Liz - there is always a chance of anything. genentic mutations happen all the time which can throw a spanner in the works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast