Thread: Eye Colour

Default Eye Colour

Just out of interest... when do babies eye colour change if they're going to change from blue?

How early can you tell what their ultimate eye colour will be? When do they start to change?

Melinda Guest

I don't really know Juliette........but from what I've been told, it's a gradual thing. You won't wake up one day to see a different eye colour IYKWIM? LOL I only know that because I asked a friend of mine (as I was wondering the same thing some time ago), who's daughter has brown eyes, and she told me that it was a very gradual transition for her.

Jacob's eyes are most definitely very blue LOL!

I have heard that they can start to change colour from about 6 months to 1 yr....
    But I dont have personal experience because Aidyn's stayed blue.

thew nurses at the hospital told me 6 weeks..

Custardtart Guest

Max's eyes started to change noticeably at about six weeks, and have become a deep blue, quite different from the cloudy baby blue.

Kerrie

Matilda's started out a grey blue and over the course of the first 12 months they changed to a green/grey colour. Since she turned 12 months they haven't changes (all of the 5 months LOL) but they are pretty much a green/grey/hazel colour now

I agree with the very gradual transisition thing over 12 months. Olivia's were a dark naby blue and have gradually changed to a greeny hazel (like her Dad).

Charlie's are still navy blue. But I think are fading to a grey blue......time will tell with him......

Lily was born with steel blue eyes and they haven't changed a bit! So I guess that's how they are staying

One of the guys I work with is an ex-optometrist. He said that by 6 months your baby's eye colour is what it will stay forever. Minor changes you see after that I would say are the same as in our eyes - you know, depending on the colour clothes we have on.

An interesting side point that he said as well... By 6 months old, baby's eyes are a big as they will ever be!! They don't grow after 6 months.

Maddiosn's eyes were black when born & they are now a dark brown, Indah also has really black eyes...
    I guess my eyes being a brown/green & Dh's being black means no blue eyed bubs for us, or blonde hair for that matter!!!! :-k hee hee

According to the baby book our hospital gave us the colour can change anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months. Dylan has dark blue eyes at the moment - gorgeous! Mine are steel blue and DHs are hazel, so it will be interesting to see where Dylan ends up...

Custardtart Guest

Sarah, I was interested to hear that - I guess I'm a mutant! I had blue eyes until I was eight years old, then they turned green. I've never heard of anyone else experiencing a colour change at that age.

Kerrie

i am a nurse and have learnt that by the time your baby is 6-9 months old they will develope the colour that will stay with them for life,from about 6 weeks you will start to see changes from the dull blue to what ever they will end up being
    nikki

LOL at being a mutant Kerrie!

Pietta Guest

Ryley was born with dark blue eyes and then they went brown and now they are hazelish like DH's and my brothers. That was gradual and i have only noticed the change recently- but everyone is commenting on it - 8-[