Thread: Fasting a 3 month old

Default Fasting a 3 month old

My DD who is 3 months old is having a simple op tomorrow to fix her tounge tie, and i have to fast her for 2 hours before we get to the hospital and then until her op (io don't know what the time is for that) I was wondering if anyone could give me any adivce on how i can keep her happy whislt she would be wanting a feed

I hope you don't have to wait long for the op! All I can suggest is feed her right before starting the fast and then maybe use distraction techniques to keep her occupied - like toys, talking and playing with her etc. Also don't eat or drink in front of her as that may make her want to feed.

Good luck!

Hi Kelly, i agree with Bon, feed her just before the 2 hours and then lots of play. I hope you don't have too much trouble with hungary baby!

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

most hospitals usually put the youngest bubs first on the list and only fast them for shortest possible time. Ring the hospital and ask where she is on the theatre list - they usually know the day before.

I am sure Shannon had to fast Jessalyn a few times. By memory she had a tough time of it, so hopefulyl she will pop in and let you know some little tricks.

Oh good luck with it all My only suggestion is the dummy???? Not sure if you use one but it would hold Ella off for a bit if we were out and i was unable to feed her immediately. Hope it all goes well

Hi Kelly

My son had surgery when he was 3 months old, and had to fast for a few hours. We tried to get him to sleep as much as we could (it ended up being much longer than we anticipated, due to an emergency that came in to the hospital... he was having cardiac surgery and they pushed him to the afternoon to make way for the emergency baby). We also took him for little walks around the room, and we took turns nursing him and talking to him. We gave him a bath (but he had a hospital room... don't think this would be available to you for day surgery) and read him stories and sang to him. All of the things you'd normally do over the course of a day to interact with him, we did it in the space of about 6 hours. His Poppa also came to visit and that provided an additional distraction which was much appreciated.

He was a very stoic little guy, and wasn't fussed by the lack of food. So I don't really know if it was our distracting techniques or his personality that meant a smooth fast for him.

Hope it all goes really well for you.

I've never had to fast my babies, but I know that they would often delay or even forget a feed if they were in their sling/snugli carrier. Maybe that would help your little one?
    All the best!

hi, thanks everyone, she went really well, the op was at 8:30am so it wasn't that long, she stayed alseep until 7:30am and then was smiling and chatting away until 8:20 then she got grumpy, she woke up very hungry though.

Kelly - Glad all went well. Just a quick question re the tongue tie as my DS has it. Can I ask why she had to go under to get it fixed? I thought it was a quick snip with a general and that was it? I am going to look at getting DS's fixed shortly.

That's great news Kelly!

Soph- i guess it was just the way the hospital does it, they said it will heal faster doing it that way, they laser it, to fix it.