Thread: Feeding after immunisation

Default Feeding after immunisation

Lucas had his 2 month needles yesterday and was a bit unsettled in the afternoon, I gave him a dose of baby panadol and he went to sleep by 7 last night. When he woke for a feed at 1:30 my boobs were so full, but he only fed for about 5mins and didn't want any more. He woke again at 4:30 and didn't seem to want very much. Is this normal after immunisation? He seems happy - wanted to play rather than sleep after the 4:30 feed (I'm writing this at 5:20) and he's had a wet nappy at that time - not saturated but wet.
    Normally he's a big feeder - he drinks so much that the excess overflows out once he's decided he's done - there was overflow this morning, but I don't feel like he had much.
    Thanks.

They will often sleep a bit more after needles. Either that or be really unsettled. Just another thing that us mums have to try and cater to.
    Did you end up expressing the normal feed? If he does the same thing again today tonight, migth be worthwhile expressing the feed to keep control of your supply.
    As long as the wet nappies keep coming its ok to snack for a day or two. Offer whenever he seemsa bit grizzly.

I wouldn't worry to much, unless you feel that something is wrong. I remember Emma was quite sleepy after her 2 month needles. It is a lot for their little systems to handle so I guess sometimes they sleep more/less & feed more/less.

But do go to your GP if you feel worried or that something isn't right.

Thanks girls. He's been having a longer sleep(5-6hrs) in the evening for a couple of days - it'd be nice if it started later than 7pm but anyway.

I tried to express at 2am - not the best time to try it for the first time - and could only get a drop out despite the fact I'd leaked through my bra, breast pad & t-shirt. Is it easier to express using a pump than by hand?

It does take a bit of getting used to! If you have a search on here you'll find some great tips. One is to look at your baby which will help you get a let down. Once you get a let down it is much easier. I used to express for a few minutes before getting anything, then it would come easily.

First thing in the morning is usually the best time, as you are very full then.

HTH

Ella used to sleep a lot more after her immunisations too. I found expressing much easier with a pump - i have the Avent one, but it definately is possible by hand. Linda's suggestions are good