Thread: Feeding query 6/7 month old

Default Feeding query 6/7 month old

I have a 6.5 month old little man and I'm just wondering if his feeding routine is going okay. He is having solids three times a day but is struggling with breastfeeding - he is totally loosing interest.

I would like to give him bottles of formula during the day and breastfeed at morning and night as I am returning to work soon but alas - I spent an hour and he only took 10mls from a sipper cup after screaming when confronted with a bottle.

Any ideas on how to get him to take formula and how many feeds is average for this age?

Any advice appreciated!

I would suggest offering milk feeds first. I do this with Coco and will continue to do so. we are dropping our lunch bf and replacing with formuls purley because she is too active and will NOT feed, just wants to play. So morning and night I bf in bed, and inbetween she gets bottles. I would offer milk before solids and see how that goes xoox

Hi Sorka, long time no see!

Not all babies will take to the bottle right away - it can take time and perseverance. I have always found it easier to offer the bottle first before their solids so they are getting their milk requirements, which for his age he should still be having around the 700ml mark (but this is only a guide - some will have more, some less). Also another suggestion is to get your DH or someone else to give him the bottle the first few times, because he can smell the milk IYKWIM and he is probably frustrated that it is there but he is not getting it (does that make sense?). What about the possibility of using expressed BM? he might be more keen to take the bottle if he knows it is BM inside it?

As for losing interest, is there just too much going on around him to distract him from it? Or do you feel it is from being full from solids?

Thanks guys...

Iam breastfeeding first atm and then solids about half hour later which he seems happy with. I think you're right and it is too much going on around him Sherie, but there isn't much I can do about it (2 year old doesn't understand how to be "quiet")

Even when he's not around bubs still stops to look at the fish tank, my face, my hair...I tried covering him with a drape but he wasn't impreesed at all and stopped feeding altogether!

We have tried breastmilk in the bottle (50ml at a time) a dozen times and then I got frustrated with it being wasted so thought I would give formula a go - I introduced formula to my my first son throughout the day at around 6 mths also. I don't wish to continue breastfeeding for too much longer (although I may not have a choice!!). We tried the bottle first thing in the morning but he just never seems very ravenous or anything and soesn't really care that he doesn't get milk- seems more annoyed that we're trying to shove the bottle in his face!

My husband has tried, my mother, my mother-in-law and father-in-law but he just screams when he sees the bottle. I did get him to take the 10ml of formula when I offerred it to him throughout his meal at lunch time (instead of an 11:30 feed he ended up having a 12pm feed with solids at the same time), but I'm not sure if it's okay to blend the formula and solid feed together?

Can you guys see any problem with this?

Looks like you have a real little boobie boy LOL.

I don't see any harm in getting him to have milk with a solid feed. What ever works best for you I say. It is possible that he wont ever have the bottle, but will have a sippy cup instead. Have you seen the ones with the really soft flexible spout? They might work well for him.

Good luck Sorka and let us know how you are getting on.