Thread: Fever, lethargic, a little spew and off food....

Unhappy Fever, lethargic, a little spew and off food....

Izzy has been off her food all day, and since she woke up from her nap has a fever too. It worries me when she is so lethargic because she is normally such an active kid.

We have given her a dose of panadol to see if it will bring her fever down, so far it has come down around .5 degrees... It was 38.9 earlier.

Is there anything else we can do?? I hate seeing her sick - I get really, super worried and scared that it is very serious.

She is due for a bottle and bed time at 7 - was thinking we could water down her formula as she didn't eat dinner before, and also tried to throw up but nothing really came up.

Any advice/reassurance really appreciated.

I find Riley responds better to Nurofen when he has a fever so maybe try that. My GP said water and ice blocks are good, lemonade icy poles are giving her some sugar and liquid and helping her cool down.
    Its horrible when they are off like this and not themselves isn't it?

Aww, poor bubba! Just watch her temp and if it doesn't go down you could try a luke warm bath and lighter clothes to bring it down. Like PP said, if the panadol doesn't work try the Nurofen. When DD is teething she has gotten a fever and been off food for a few days or after her immunisations. Hope she feels better!!

on a journey called life, finding our way home

Hi there
    I no exactly what you are going through, our family 2 DS have been through a terrible time, they had really high temps for 4 days and the only thing i could do was give them panadol, i talked to the chemest and they told me not to use nurofen because it is absorbed in the stomach and with what they had ( tummy cramps) they said that was not advised. I no its scary. my boys where very lethargic and wanted to sleep all the time, my oldest didnt eat for days just didnt feel like it. I am not sure if this is what your dd has but i just wanted to share my story incase it is and to let you know.
    hope she gets better soon

Thanks for the reassurance ladies.... I was in tears before because I've never seen my normally active bubby so flat out.... I rang Nurse On Call - wow they are just so great and reassuring. She basically said it sounds like a gastroey, tummy bug and to keep an eye on temp and fluid intake so that's what we are doing. Her temp has come down to around 38 and she has just gone to bed.. so will keep an eye on her overnight - poor little poppet. Jus tbefore bed she perked right up and started chatting and running around again which was great.

I hope she is much better in the morning Tan. Try to get some sleep tonight mate.

Transtar,
    Not sure where you live. In Melb there is a Yukky gastro bug going round. My DD had it; bit of a temp and vomiting (5 hours of it) poor little thing. It seems to last a couple of days then DD was back to her cheeky self. I picked up same bug and it was yuk. We just take panadol and gastrolite. DD loves the blackcurrent one it always seems to settle her tummy. Always is twice we've only needed it twice. Hope Izzy feels better real soon.

Thanks Mel and jmmum - Im in Melbourne so that sounds about right. Am going to go get some gastrolyte tomorrow for future use too JIK and maybe some nurofen too although she responds really well to panadol.

How's Izzy today Tan?

Hey hun -thanks for checking in. She slept all night no worries, was a bit sweaty when i went in at 10 but happy to sleep, and temp was back to normal at 1130.
    She slept right through, and when she woke at 8 her temp was fine. Up to about 38 again now but she is happy enough. Just going to keep an eye on her - she's eaten a bit better today thank goodness and no vomitting so hopefully it's just her little body fighting whatever she's got.

Good to hear. If her temp keeps going up and down for a few days definitely get her checked out - even if they say its nothing, take her back the next day. That's what happened here and now he has pneumonia......can never be too careful with our bubbas!!!

oh sweety, M is going through the exact same symptoms as of yesterday afternoon!!

he has already had two naps today, and normally he would be having his first just now. His temp is around 38 today (much better than the 40 degrees yesterday) but he wont stop sooking and screaming in pain.

Awww D - it sucks doesn't it. iz woke up from her nap at 230 crying and spent around 40 mins sitting on my knee watching an animal doco - UNHEARD of from my little tornado.... I gave her a bit of panadol again even though I don't like doing it all the time but she does respond so well to it.... She is now playing on and off, had a pikelet for afternoon tea and is watching her Wiggles dvd relatively happily. Fingers crossed M and her both recovery quickly.

glad to hear she seems better Tan.Mason hasn't responded to panadol at all. Atleast he just had some afternoon tea though