Thread: Fighting kids

Default Fighting kids

My boys fight.
    All the time over anything. It's really wearing me down.
    They had a slapping session this evening over who gets to turn the pages of the book I was reading them, needless to say storytime was over.

I'm trying not to play the blame game, but if if I catch the instigator in the act is it right to punish one or both.
    I need some advice please.

Ow Sammi- tough one, maybe time out for the instigator, but the other one doesn't get attention either IYKWIM! OR sent both to their rooms.

Stormi Guest

We have the same problem, my two boys fight over everything...I mean EVERYTHING...really trivial things. It's hard not to punish the older child who "should know better", regardless of who starts it. My boys are a bit older though, 6 and 3 years.

What I generally do, for example, is if both of them are behaving unacceptably (ie fighting over turning pages), then I'd stop the activity and tell them you won't be doing the activity (ie reading the story) with them now because they are not behaving. Maybe send them to their room for time-out for 5 minutes and tell them when they come out that if they can behave then you'll finish reading the book to them.

Thanks guys. I think just knowing that others have this going on too is a help.
    I just have to keep my cool and hopefully they will calm it down a bit.

Oh boy I can relate to this, just got home from shopping and had the worst time in the car with my girls, it was like the punch and judy show. Lots of yelling and screaming and its a wonder I didn't have an accident.

I have been recommended a book that I am going to get from the library called Siblings without Rivalry not sure who the author is but maybe you should have a look at this book.

Sun Nymph Guest

Yep, I can relate to this too. As a last resort I have been known to just walk out of the room and leave them to it - especailly with the older two.
    They are more verbal than physical I hasten to add.