Thread: fingers down throat!!

Default fingers down throat!!

eliana had been doing a pretend gag when she was eating but the last few days she has been sticking her fingers (which are really long) down her throat at other times in the day so much so that twice today she has done it till she vomits - i keep trying to pull her hands out of her mouth but she laughs while she is doing it & even after being sick - anyone have any ideas on how i can get her to stop?? don't know if it is just something 10 month olds do but she seems to get great pleasure in doing it :?

Angus did this.
    I think if you pull her hand out and she laughs it may encourage her to do it more often. Maybe if you ignore it for a while and try not to react she might decide that it's really not that much fun to do it.
    Good luck :-#

Hey Mel,

Aidyn used to do the EXACT same thing... at pretty much the exact same age too.
    It perfectly normal, but yeah, its very much an attention seeking behaviour.
    It went on for quite a few months with him, and he still does it now oaccasionally. I guess he knows that we will always come running. Sometimes its just the gagging, but other time he will make himself full on spew.
    I think the best thing to do is to either completely ignore the behaviour, or give her a stern 'no' and pull her hand outs (although I've found that usually sets them off laughing, lol :roll: )

thanks for that girls - i guess i will just have to persevere with it & hopefully she grows out of it soon - we are going to sydney on saturday so fingers crossed she doesn't do it in the car!

Melinda Guest

Jacob does this! He knows that it gets our attention as he does it when we are preoccupied with other things, e.g. driving!!! So he will start to do it when we are in the car and he will do it to the point of vomiting also.

I try my best to ignore it, but it's pretty hard at times! Particularly when they actually do vomit.....argh. I just clean him up as quickly as possible without too much fuss.......