Thread: First Aid Course Recommendations

Default First Aid Course Recommendations

Today Amy was choking and turning blue from a piece of bread and luckily DH knew what to do as he attended a First Aid course for infants. I missed the one run at the Maternal & Child Centre when Amy was young and havenít got around to doing one.

Can anyone recommend one in the Sth East or in the City in Melbourne. I will check out the St Johns ones as well.

It is so scary how easily they can choke. DH said Amy was silent and it took a few goes to dislodge it. It happened in the supermarket and no-one came to help although Iím sure it looked as it DH had it under control. If he didnít know what to do, she could be dead.

Holy Cow Gemma. I'm so glad Amy's ok. Good on your DH for being so quick thinking and staying calm, although on the inside I'm sure he was worried about her!

Perhaps give your MCHN a call - I can call the Boronia one if that's where DHwould have done the original one - were you still living up here or had you moved?

Thanks Rach, he did it at Bayswater when we were still living there and it was $30. I might see if there is one near us but I would also drive back if there isnít a local one.

Jillian, thanks for the info. I have printed that course from the St Johns site, it sounds good so I might do that one.

Sounds like a good course that Jillian (and you have found) through St Johns. I did one through Viv's child care 9 years ago which was identical. I should probably do another one. I might call my MCHN to see if their centre is doing one soon.

Wow, Gemma. Your family is so lucky that DH knew what to do. My Mum is a Senior First Aid Instructor with the Red Cross here in Brisbane and she is amazed and the number of parents who are not first aid trained. Most people just think they are too busy to attend a course or that it wont happen to them but it happens all the time.

If anyone reads this who isnt first aid trained, please learn from Gemma's post - it does happen. Pay the money and train yourself (especially as the EAR and CPR rules have changed recently). Even if it isnt your own child you save, you may be able to help someone else ....

Dayl, thanks for your post. I wonder if there are others out there like me that have put it off for whatever reason? I am going to investigate some courses and see if anyone in the South East are interested in doing a course as a BB group.