Thread: First Time at Restaurant with Bub...

Default First Time at Restaurant with Bub...

Last night was the first night we have been out to dinner since Rylee was born (1 month). It was for a friends birthday, only 7 of us out to dinner but I was so anxious in the days leading up to dinner - I kept thinking, what if Rylee cries all the time (she is definitely prone to the witching hour 'thingy' from about 4 pm to 9 pm each night) and other diners giving me really annoyed looks and also I was nervous about breastfeeding in public - first time for me.

Anyway, I got msyelf into a bit of a state about it, but in the end it wasn't so bad, I fed her at about 6.30pm, we got to the restaurant at 7.15pm, she cried and me and DH took turns at taking her outside and walking around, and by 8.30 pm I was ready to give up and take her home, then at 9 pm gave her another feed to try and settle her and she slept through right until 2 pm this morning, (all the way home and being transferred back into her cot). Just interested in how you girls go with all of this - it is another learning experience I guess. ...but feel better that I have got through the first time in one piece.

Laurin

Laurin, that's great that you went out and that she didn't play up too much. I worry about the same thing ... what if she plays up and everyone stares at me!!
    We went to a friends' BBQ 2 weeks ago and Nina decided to do the 'witching hour' thing in the afternoon, when we were there!! It is very frustrating, but what can you do! We just persevered with it and left when she got really bad. Fortunately she slept in the car and was great that night.

I was so anxious to take Harry out for the first time. It was just to the shops, but he cried practically the whole time! I remember people giving me looks as I waited in line at Medicare...But it was better the next time and soon I was fine with taking him out!

Grace was the same the first time we took her out - she was only 5 days old and we had to go to the shops and she cried practically the whole time. I went into the chemist to get her a dummy and of course it was sooo busy and she was getting so worked up...But as soon as I gave her the dummy and a cuddle she calmed down.

I think the first time we went out to a nice restaurant after Kynan was born was when my parents came to visit when he was about 6-7 weeks old. I just popped Kynan in the hug-a-bub and he slept most of the evening. At that age he'd sleep anywhere in the sling. He did end up with a lettuce leaf on his ear and some crumbs down his neck though LOL!

The more you do it, the more confident you all get! Plus babies change so much, that they have new tricks up their sleeve all the time!

Well done....

We have always taken Olivia and Charlie and now Lexie out a lot, and it helps us all stay sane and have a life......it IS hard work at times when they play up, but still worth it......

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    I think the first time we went out to a nice restaurant after Kynan was born was when my parents came to visit when he was about 6-7 weeks old. I just popped Kynan in the hug-a-bub and he slept most of the evening. At that age he'd sleep anywhere in the sling. He did end up with a lettuce leaf on his ear and some crumbs down his neck though LOL!
    LOL ours was identical, only it was Italian food so she got a little bit splashed! Never woke up once.

Tori is pretty good with her bed time routine, ie. she knows that when she has had her bath/shower, put on her pj's and had her feed that it is time for a long sleep, so if we are going out I usually get her ready for bed first and she sleeps in the pram the whole time we are out!

I remember my first outing with Kaitlyn when she was about 4 weeks old. It was lawn bowls for DH's work and Kaitlyn pretty much cried for about 2hours on and off...in the end we left. I think sometimes it is so much the first time, but they soon get used to different situations and I guess we get used to the not so quiet outtings :-)

Yep its always never wrecking that first time! But as the girls have said the more you do it the less stressful it becomes. And you still stress with your subsequent children Its just knowing that things do get easier or they do settle, or that the patrons don't mind that makes it easier over a period of time

*hugs*
    Cailin

NewmumLou Guest

I was exactly the same at first so nervous that Joshua would muck up and i use to take so much stuff with me .... for just in case situations. It gets so much easier as your little one gets older!