Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First tooth

Question First tooth

What's the earliest a baby can start teething?

Theres a girl who was due 2 weeks before me when i was pregnant and she ended up having her DD a few days before mine.

She's posted a status on FB saying she is the proudest mother in the world as her DD is getting her first tooth in.

I always thought it was much later. But then MIL said DP had teeth at 6 months.

Very rarely they can be born with teeth. I know of one baby who has a couple at 3 months. My DD just got her first a few days after she turned one. There is quite a variance in it, but on average they will get the first ones around 5-7 months.

One of DH's friends was born with teeth - he was also 14 pounds when he was born!

All of mine have been around 7 months when it first popped through, but one of my friends baby was 12 weeks when she got her first tooth.

My nephew didn't get his first tooth till he was 17 months old - so yeah - "normal" is very wide across all ages!

Anytime I have read about babies born with teeth, and know of some babies who had no teeth at 12 months. A friend of mine had a little boy who cut his first tooth at 4 weeks! The average is about 4-6 months I think, and Jazz started getting teeth at 4 months.

I know babies who have had them from 3 months and others who haven't had any until 13 months. Every baby is so different. My DD1 got her first tooth at 4 and a half months and my other two had none until they were 7 months. They have also got them all in different orders. They seem to get the middle bottom two first, but DD1 got her eye teeth, the ones either side of the middle teeth at the top, second and had a massive gap there for a while.

How exciting for your friend that her baby is teething. Little milestones like that are fun to celebrate and acknowledge

My friend's baby got her first tooth at 4 weeks!!

In my books that is REALLY early. But that might just be because DD didnt get her first tooth until 11 months!

Oh yeah, Jazz was a vampire baby! It looked so funny!

I think teething is like everything babies do - in their own time, in their own way, when their bodies are ready.

I think Moo started teething around Christmas time. He would've been 4 and a half months old.

Sam popped his first two teeth through at exactly 9 months and one day old. He's always done them either 2 or 4 at a time since then. Teething is lots of fun in this house!

Another boy born a few days after Sam was born with one tooth already. Yet another boy three months younger than Sam has always been a month or two ahead of Sam in terms of teeth coming in.

I've also heard of babies being well over 12 months before they get any teeth at all.

BW

I think Leesa's bub was born with teeth?

My DD got 2 at 4 months old, and DS was about 4 & 1/2 months.

Thats very interesting.

I just assumed it was not until atleast 9 months as my SIL's lot didnt start until then she they teethed for months before teeth came through.

The range of normal is just enormous...people told me my two were 'teething' very very early, but neither got a tooth before 11 months old and by 14 months DD had 16 teeth and DS had 20....never even noticed all those teeth erupting....

DS1 got his first tooth around 7 months i think and they all gradualy popped through after that.

DS2 didn't get his first tooth until 9 months old (Christmas day), they have pretty much come in pairs but at 18 months of age we still only have 6 teeth!!!

Kim, our boys are very close in age and your little man has 20 and mine has 6!! Really does go to show how much things can vary doesn't it

DD cut a tooth at 16 weeks but it went back up, she cut another 4 (could see them fully through the gum) before she cut one that stayed put!

We have a family friend that was born with one tooth. One of the kids in Mothers group got her first tooth at 3 months & had another who didnt get her first tooth until she was 18months old. DD got her first around 6months

Ds was born with two bottom teeth - which lulled me into the thoughts he would get the rest through early. Nup, he was about 9 mths old when the rest started popping through.

It aint a race, your DD will get them in her own time .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast