Thread: First tooth - a molar??

Default First tooth - a molar??

Hey everyone,

I think DS is getting his first tooth... but its a molar??

On Monday night DH said he was getting one, but it was at the back, and I of course said, it can't be, they get them at the front first...

But i have a feel and there is a little sharp peak coming out of his gum, and when i have a look it is white.

Asked the MCHN about it, she had a look, and said she wasn't sure, but it could well be, and its not unheard of to get a molar first (but not common either!)

Last night there was hard lump in the gum around the "tooth"... And he was very unsettled and has been doing a lot more dirty nappies.

Yesterday they were watery and green (but I am on pencillin atm, so that could be it??)..

This morning I changed him and then i was just getting a new nappy down and he did a poo (they watery type) all over the change table.. and then DH was helping me mop it up, and he did another one ... So i was like, forget it (the poo was everywhere by this stage, all over the change table and all over his back), i'll put him in the bath, but we had no hot water, so i held him up for DH to clean under him, and then he peed, making even more mess... Oh well, you've just got to laugh I guess!

Anyway, back to my point (get easily distracted these days!), could he really be getting a tooth? And how long does it take to properlly come through??

Thanks!

Yael

P.S. The MCHN said at least this way he can't bite me! Got to look on the bright side of things!

Last edited by Yael; May 22nd, 2010 at 11:58 PM.

Sounds like a tooth with all those type of symptons, (just keep an eye on him though Gastro is going around at the moment). Sounds like you had the morning from Hell A littly from our mothers group had most of his teeth by 9 months and his molars came thru first. Put some bonjella on and maybe try the pandol at night if he is really upset. Goodluck

HA HA HA HA HA, Picturing the run of events has just given me the biggest laugh I have had for a damned long time! For That I thank-you!!!!

I'd say Tooth, Indah got her first (front) tooth around 3-4 months & now at 8months has 5... Seems bizarre when my 1st didnt have any teeth til 9+months!!!

AHA, They can take as long as they want to come out, there really is no rule some come & then go again, only to cause as much if not more problems/poain the very next time they pop through...

All the best!

Both Olivia and Charlie got theirs in the traditional fashion: two bottom front, then two top front.....but my neice got 2 back molars first, before she got any others.

I know with front teeth, once they are through (ie you can see the first little tip of white enamel) the toothing pain seems to subside......Charlie cut his first 4 in a week, so we had a week from hell prior to them appearing and as soon as I could actually see them all, he was as right as rain again. But I remember that Olivia's molars, when they started to appear (late, around 14 months) she was crotchety for WEEKS!

Best of luck either way.......frozen teething rings & frozen facewashers to suck on, I even sterilzed and old set of metal keys, cos Charlie was desparate to chew on metal!!And Panadol if it gets really bad.........

My DS got four at the front top and bottom, then cut four molars all at once at the back not long after. I was told it is called cross cutting.

Well, It is def. a tooth coming through.. and then 3 days later i was trying to get him to open his mouth to show me his tooth, and he has another one at the front! It is not directly at the front but still closer than the molar!

Poor boy, 2 teeth and 3 injections all in one week! Lucky he is such a happy smiling boy! Seemed to take it ok, i got him some soft teething rings (a fisher price one with water filled bubbles that goes in the fridge) - he seemed to like that!

How long does it take for them to properally come up once the enamel is actually through the gum?? They just don't look like they are shifting much!

Yael

Yael, I think it varies, depending on the tooth and the child, but once Charlie's cut through, they seem to be full noticable teeth in only a few days......Glad to hear DS is coping cheerfully with his new snappers!
    Last edited by Yael; May 20th, 2010 at 09:31 PM.