Thread: Fist Munching and Sucking

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Default Fist Munching and Sucking

Hi All

Just a question, Jonah munches and sucks on his fist a lot, sometimes even after a feed so surely it's not because he's still hungry. Do they do this for a reason? Or is just because he wants to suck something?

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Thanks, we just curious

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Absolutely!

Yup. Kynan does that too, just comfort sucking. Sometimes he shoves so much of his hand into his mouth that it makes him gag LOL.

It's part of their development Bec. All Matthew seems to do now is stick everything into his mouth, lots of dribble comes with it too sometimes. Not sure when it stops though - anyone know?

Amy does it when she is hungry, she can really make some noise sometimes, so cute!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

See that's the thing often he will be munching on his hand and then he gets a bit upset sometimes and starts crying, so if there's no dummy on hand I put my finger in there and he starts gumming my finger, but surely he's not getting teeth, would he just be doing it for pleasure or something?

Tigergirl1980 Guest

That's cool, thanks Shannon

As Shannon said earlier it is a phase that they go through. From birth to about two years old children are in the "Oral Phase" where their pleasure is derived from their mouth. They learn hard, soft, smooth, rough etc etc from their mouth rather than their hands at this stage. Their food is the main source of pleasure for them at this point in time so the putting things in their mouth all the time goes along with that.

The stages continue on until early 20's, with anal, phallic, latent & sexual after the first oral stage. If you want I can post some more info on the other stages as well.......

(BTW this is psychology based info)

Okey dokey I'll go through my books & make sure I get everything right!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I'd like to read it if you can find it , thanks Sarah

Will get onto it after dinner ladies - yup haven't had dinner & its 8pm!