Thread: Flying with 4 month old

Default Flying with 4 month old

Any tips?! We are flying back to Perth to see my family and too be honest I am really not looking forward to it. Evie's a really good baby but i'm so worried that she'll be unsettled the whole time. To be honest, I think I am more upset at the fact that people will be commenting on flying with a baby and i dont want people being mean to my baby! DH says i should stop caring about what other people think and concentrate on whats best for baby, i know he's right but i'm really not looking forward to this flight!!!

Seth and I flew to Mackay from Brisbane when hew was 3 months old. then a 3 hour drive out to the sticks on top of that... as soon as the plane took of seth was asleep and stayed that way.. make sure you take water and milk and a dummy because thatll stop there ears popping a bit..

as for the people commenting on flying with a baby, they can stick it. lol.. try not to stress about them. most of the people on my flight were talking to me about him saying how sweet he was. lol...

now i got to figure out how to handle a 2 year old on a flight from bris to melbourne... something tells me it won't be as easy. lol

Good luck, hope the flight is stress free...

Eryn xoxo

Olivia Guest

Taralee ...I travelled with Lugh when he was almost 4 months to NZ and he was fine ...just feed all the time ...I had him in the sling in the airport.

you'll be fine, don't worry about other people ...

Taralee, we have been flying back and forth from Karratha to Perth since Alexander was 2 months old. The flights arent as scary as they seem to be! Whatever you do dont worry about other people, most people wear headsets and cant even hear the baby anyway!

As for recommendations....feed on the way up and on the way down as this helps with the babies ears popping. If they wont feed then a dummy might suffice instead. I also try to time it so that Alex will have a sleep on the plane, even if it means sometimes he is a bit grizzly as we get on becuase he is overtired as I have stretched him out IYKWIM? The upside to this is that quite often after a feed he will then go straight to sleep.

I also recommend that you make sure you have something to eat and drink before getting on the plane because sometimes it can be a bit fiddly for you especially if you are by yourself.

Good luck I am sure it will be fine.

I'm flying with Jovie in a few weeks time & plan on having her in the sling for all of the trip. I have flown with Matilda heaps & over to the US when she was 18 months old. I didn't have any comments made to me at all.... HTH!

I flew with Allegra from Sydney to Dubai (non stop) and from Dubai to Zurich when she was just shy of 6 months and she was fine. People are mainly supportive and offer you a break if you want a few minutes to yourself!
    We were really lucky as she cried all up about 2 minutes on the way there and about 4 minutes on the way home and we were travelling for about 30 hours on the way home because we had a 8 hour stopover (we did have a hotel room though so we were able to rest)
    Domestic flights should be a piece of cake! Take heaps of clean muslins and things so bubs can lie down etc and bottle or dummy etc for ear poppping as has been mentioned. The other thing that I found useful was toys for her to play with and by baby bjorn as it was so handy in the airport so I had free hands and also when we arrived in Dubai they had no idea about baby seats (let alone rear facing ones!) and so I was able to have her strapped to me and me belted into the car.

I did a lot of domestic air travel with Olivia (between Darwin and Adelaide and Sydney) from when she was 2 months old.

Firstly, I sympathise, BUT the thought of it was always MUCH worse than the reality!

The other girls have given good practical tips: the Baby Bjorn or sling is a lifesaver.

And feed on the way up and on the way down.

And carry on as much as you will think you will need and then more.....just in case! (For your peace of mind more than anything......you'll most likely not need it, but better for your sanity if you know you have loads of nappies etc!)

Most improtantly, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK!

Honestly, I never had any comments or narky looks at all......people, if anything, are helpful and ADMIRING of you and baby as they most likely think "Good on you" for making the trip.

I was always conscious to dress Olivia in a plain and simple practical outfit rather than a cutey frilly one, and made as little fuss of her as possible. Our flights were usually the red eye business mans flight, so I kinda wanted to "blend in" as much as possible, LOL! In the end, I always got a bit of a kick out of having "such a good baby"..........she was usually really "good" as I fed her the whole way and/or she slept!

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks very much for your advice everyone! We're going in 2.5 weeks so I have plenty of time to pack and re-pack...and try and not think about it!