Thread: Flying interstate with 6 mth old

Default Flying interstate with 6 mth old

I am wanting to visit my family in Melbourne with my 6 month old and was just a bit concerned about the flight and how he will be.. It is a 2 hour flight. Has anyone got any experience or advice as to what I can expect? I am just worried about his ears but if I give him dummy/boob on take off and landing.. I am also concerned about how he will be not in his home IYKWIM?? UNSETTLED??
    Love to hear any thoughts!

I love the name Tariq. We thought about it because of Tariq bin Ziad but went with Zain instead. (DH is Ziad)

The dummy is a good idea. I gave mine lollypops but they were older.

As to being unsettled, it really depends on his personality. Will he get scared if everyones excited to see him?

I've done many interstate & even an international flight with Matilda. I have to say the younger the better!! Okay maybe not sleep wise...

With the plane thing, yep definately boob it on take off & landing. They may say to you that you can't, but you can Usually the descent is the worst, so the 20 minutes prior to landing with their ears. I always brought dummys too. 6 month olds generally are quite content to have 2-3 toys & wander up & down the isles if possible.

Settling...all I can say is do your best to keep everything as you would at home. Are you staying with friends? In a hotel? Family? A great idea is to bring familiar bedding, so we bring Matilda's pillowcase (she's older now) but when she was younger we'd bring her flat cot sheet & her cd & her wrap/blankie. So she's have familiar things when she woke up so as not to be scared. She would wake up more on holidays but I guess if you expect that then it isn't so traumatic.

We always share the same room with her & she generally will co-sleep on holidays where as at home she won't. So just try to make it as similar to home as possible & remember waking up in a strange place can be scary! When we went to America, we went out one night & came home & Matilda was in bed with my Mum!! In another room... it was hilarious, apparently she just walked into my mum's room & climbed into bed with her.

*LOL* Had to laugh at the 'boob it....' comment Christy! hehe

I agree though, I've travelled interstate with Maddy twice now. Once when she was 9 weeks old, and again at 7 months. Both times she slept the entire way, both to and from. Granted our flights were a little shorter, 1 1/2 hrs each way...but what Christy said about feeding on take off and landing is fantastic advice. It worked a charm and she loved being snuggled into me. Even better if you can time your flights to around their nap times!

Did you end up buying the amby hammock? If you did it might be worth taking it with you so Tariq can sleep somewhere familiar. Virgin Blue counts porta-cots as 5kg regardless of thier actual weight.
    I always try to offer something to suck on take off and landing. I try to get a window seat and get DH to sit between me and the aisle and read a newspaper so that if bubs decides to yank my top open I don't give the whole plane a look at my boobs.

I'm sure you'll have a great time visiting your family. I've found that when I've travelled overseas and interstate to visit family that in some ways its easier than at home because I have so many people who want to help where as at home its just me.

thanks everyone!
    Yes I did hire a amby hammock Dach..which I will bring for his day naps and co-sleep with him at night. I will be staying at my mums so hopefully he will still feel at home! Im just nervous about the flight...