Thread: Formula fed and constipated

Sal Guest

Question Formula fed and constipated

Hi there, DS is formula fed and is seemingly always constipated. He hasn't bled when passing a stool, but they are really hard, some so hard that they are just left sticking out of his bum still.

I have some coloxyl drops which I put in his milk, but don't want to use them all the time, obviously. I tried prune juice but it didn't seem to help much plus I don't want him to get into sweet fruit juice.

He is currently on Karicare gold, I have had him on S26 but the smell makes me nearly vomit.

Anyone got any ideas? If I don't have him on the drops then he stoppers up straight away.

Sal Guest

I have tried giving cooled boiled water (actually in his bottles I usually have them slightly watered down, as suggested by a health nurse), but it just goes straight into his nappie as wee. Not sure about the brown sugar as I don't want to be cultivating a sweet tooth.

Haven't tried the tummy massage, will give that a go.

Maybe try something like NAN 1HA. Its a little kinder for bubs with tummy troubles.

We have had many problems with Alana being constipated (and the opposite!). I would not be to concerned about the coloxyl drops. They are a very mild laxative and should not be a problem. Alana has used laxatives alot, one being coloxyl. Parachoc is another good one and tastes better.

I would also suggest getting it looked at to make sure he's not allergic to lactose. We are now trying Alana out on lactose free milk etc and within a day or so I have noticed a change. This was suggested by Alana dietician.I am hopeing we have found the problem. I think there is a formula called Lactogen, if this is the case.

Anyway I hope little one gets some relief soon. Its horrible watching them strain. Alana would scream and get very upset. Good luck!

Hi Sal...you're poor little one.
    Nan 1HA gold is supposed to be easier to digest....how long has he been on the karicare for? Usually bubs with lactose intolerance have frothy poo...not sure if constipation is also an indicator.
    boiled water - cooled with some brown sugar may work as the sugar brings water to the bowel.

My bubs has always had probs pooing although she is on the Nan (however not hard poos - she just didn't go) we add an extra 10mls of water to each bottle, she wouldn't have the water by itself...so we are on senokot daily and trying to cut down now she is starting on solids. With the senokot I melt it in boiled water and then give it to her (just like a chocolate drink) and its natural, however it was her peadiatrician who advised this.

If I were you I'd talk to your MCHN also.

Sal Guest

Thanks, Lara and Carrie. I feel better about things now! Funny thing is, I was thinking of trying Nan, though without any real reason to do so, but now I will give him a go with it.

Carrie, DS has been on Karicare since birth, really, it was what the hospital used. I tried him on S26 as I wasn't sure it agreed with him, but the smell was revolting to me, and there wasn't any real difference.

Sal, just be careful with using the coloxyl, I was using it with Hannah and my SIL who is a Dr said it is not a good thing to do as it can make their bowel get "lazy' and cause problems later on with bowel control. She was really worried about us using it.

One thing we found that helped was to be really pedantic about making formula, especially about the water temp as it made a big difference.

Good luck.

Sal Guest

That's interesting, Mimo! Do you mean if we let the water get too cold before doing the mixing up? Or is it when the water is too hot?

Sal Guest

Yay! for Nan formula...Miles is no longer constipated! He does go up to 2 days between poos but he will then do two in a day.