Thread: Funny parenting quirks

Default Funny parenting quirks

Isn't it funny that what some people think is a mega no no for their kids, is absolutely fine for others?? Chatting on sites like this often make you think about what you "just do" every day. i find other people's POV most often very insightful.

For example, I don't like my son listening to commercial radio, yet I think it is fine for him to have a few lollies here and there. Someone else would never let their child have lollies, but may nt even think about commercial radio.

My SIL has an absolute no rule on McDonalds for her son, yet she will let him have Coca Cola.

What is your funny parenting quirk??

I don't really like Autumn to watch tv unless it has someone singing...

Definately very interesting.

I wont let DD have any sort of soft drink, but I drink it myself. (One glass with dinner). Not setting a good example huh!

I have heaps of quirks LOL!!!

Matilda has turned 4 and had her second lemonaide on Friday!! LOL a parent of her friend who was with me said to her son "no you don't have soft drinks, here's a milk shake" ROFL... if Matilda had a milk shake it would be the end of the world (milk allergy) but I substituted with a lemonaide.... Her son had a chocolate milk shake and a chocolate cake slice. Matilda had lemonaide and a fruit strap (that I brought from home).

Matilda watches ABC kids and its regulated by time, but DH lets her watch Simpsons

frazaled1971 Guest

It is very funny what we do as perants, i hate my kids to drink soft drink on a daily basis but they drink cordial at least 3 times a day and lets be honest its just as bad for them .
    my friend will not let her kids have any form of lollies but lets them drink soft drink all to lol

My main one that comes to mind is soft drink too. DD is 2 1/2 and has only ever had a few sips of mine (when i have rarely had one). She only drinks water and a cup of toddler forula with her afternoon snack, but i will let her have a happy meal with nuggets (with water for the drink) if we are out and about.

When we go grocery shopping i have a strict no junk rule, i dont buy anything like chips or lollies or softdrink. But if we are in the service station I will usually get us a chocolate to share.

My dentist told me never to give DD jube type lollies but was fine with chocolate so she never gets lollies but chocolate is ok - she only gets it once every few weeks though.

I will let her have lemonade if there is nothing else but would never give her cola.

I am so against soft drink yet I wouldn't mind giving her a sweet biscuit or chocolate!

Haha, how fun.

I let our kids listen to dh's progressive metal, because they can't understand the words, but not something like the Eels (I'll be a bit peeved if ds's first word is a swearie, specially since we don't!)

Oh, and he's not allowed chocolate (doesn't stop him nicking it and running though!), but I give him Nutella on bread...huh? :P

not fan of sugury drinks at all, just think its not neccesary

My kids get lemonade on occasion, No coke - even though I'm addicted to it. Cordial mostly through the day. I don't like giving it, but they gotta get their water some how.

Simpsons are ok but NO Futurama or any other adult cartoons.

Very rarely get lollies or cocolate. I get them chips instead. We are allowed Macca's, but only coz I love it so much. & we only get it every few months.

I don't mind what music they listen too. We swear a fair bit. We just teach them that it's not for them to do.

Yeah - THe funny thing about me not letting J listen to commercial radio started because of all the erectile dysfunction adds. A family friend had their young child wanting to know all about it!! Oh and someone else's child that I knew started singing Lady lumps!!!

Also the strange thing is that I will put the news on when he is around, and lets face it, the news can be pretty violent at times.

I don't have any set rules. My kids are allowed almost anything if it's a special occasion. but any soft drinks must be watered down to almost no taste, but makes them feel special. They have very very very weak cordial every day almost. Otherwise the water doesn't get drunk. Honestly, it tastes like water with colour in it. No real taste. If I am out at lunch, I will let them pick (it's usually nuggets and chippys from maccas) and they won't eat them without sweet and sour sauce. Go figure. If I duck into a coffee shop, they usually have a baby chino. Umm, I'm pretty flexible with food and drink, but as I said, most of the time they get treats like soft drink maybe once a fortnight. And even then it's pretty much water! hehehe.