Thread: Gastro

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Gastro

It seems everyone has it at the moment, as do my kids *waaaah* so I thought I would post the gastro article as a reminder it exists!

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...and-your-child
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Have you seen the vaccine Kel?! Sorry to hear your kids are unwell, right in time for school holidays! I guess I'll be staying away from Playcentres again these holidays!

*hugs*
    Cailin

My Dr told me the other day that there's a vaccine for Roter virus (??) which is gastro. Apparently babies can have the vaccine at 2, 4 and 6 months. she suggested I give it to coco at 6 months as I missed teh other two. Anyway, I didn't get it, as I feel they get too many vaccines. Also is it safe for a baby to never get naturally immunised against these things, by catching them?? Anyway, as much as I DETEST gastro, and I hope Coco doesn't get it till she's much older, we're not doing the vaccine. xo

Marisa was hospitalised for the rota virus when she was about 18 months I think, so she's had it I don't know if it would help her? But yeh, we went to a playcentre Friday but I think you get them anyway, Marisa wouldn't mingle with kids often as a bub but she got that nasty rota virus!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I don't think you can build up immunity to those sorts of tummy bugs can you? Because otherwise you would only ever get it once IYKWIM.

I won't be getting my three done for Rota virus, because it only protects against that illness doesn't it? and I can't see the point in giving them another injection when it's likely they can still get gastro.

Thanks for posting the article Kelly, I`d forgotten about it, Matthew has had vomiting since 12.15am Sat morning, it went on for 4 hours then it stopped for 11 hours then the vomiting started up again and now diarrhoea, it`s awful seeing them so sick.

I hope your babies are feeling better soon.

Stormi Guest

Yeah, it's certainly going around. Makenzie has had diarrhead for a week, Riley had croup a week ago, took them both to the doctor last Tuesday. GP mentioned Rotavirus but said she had no fever and I said Makenzie was reasonably happy, didn't seem to be in pain, she just said to ride it out. Now Makenzie has a horrible cough/cold, Riley who had croup and a cold, threw up at 3am last night all over his bed, was fine after that, but has just done a huge "fluff poo" as he called it. To top that off, I have this stupid vertigo thing that I get since yesterday, it's like when you get the "spins" in bed when you've been drinking, but this is whenever I move my head. The best part (NOT) is DH has not long ago left for Melbourne for the week. So I'm in for a very interesting week I think.

ewww the gastro fairy visited our house last week too. I think they picked it up at the creche at the gym.

Winter is the season for viral gastro! At least it's going to be over and done with for the year *sigh*. Poor Rissy is still suffering badly with it, Elijah just an upset tummy and not eating much (same here) but John seems to have escaped it with a mild case too.
    Kelly xx

Ah gastro is the worst. Lucie had it a month or so ago and didn't fully recover for over a week. The diarrohea lasted what felt like forever. I wish I'd known about the vaccine too (I actually saw it on the news the day she got better - typical!), I think it's so hard on bubbas. I have heard and read though that once they have it (and that all kids generlaly get it sometime before they are 5), that they are unlikely to get it again. Hope all the bubs (and mums) get better soon.