Thread: Gastro

Default Gastro

Does anyone know how many days before they throwing up or have dirreaha (sp?) that it is their system ?

Kimberley is down with her second lot if viral gastro in three months and i was trying to work out when she could have picked it up and how many friends we have seen while she would have had the infection and we didn't know it. This is day 3.5 of her being sick.

Melinda Guest

Usually gastro sets in fairly quickly from what I understand of it - I would say no more than 48 hours max after exposure to it.

I know with Jacob, when he caught it from the hospital (of all places! Sheesh!) it was 36 hours after we had been there, that he became symptomatic.

Kirsty77 Guest

I'm pretty sure its 24-48hours.It happens really quick. Like Kate I've had it 3 times this pregnancy and I'm pretty sure I was carrying it and it just kept reoccuring as Gemma and Corey both only got sick the once.

Mackenzie had it about 12 months ago but we were at the hospital (thank goodness) and the doctor told me then that it can be in your system up to 2 weeks? I'm pretty sure this is what he told me anyway!

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The only place she would have caught it them would have been at the shops again. Just glad we hadn't been to see any friends since then.

She's still not 100% but atleast she's stopped throwing up with is good. I think next time she gets it i will get the Dr to check her over really well or ask for tests if they can do them. Kimberley has had this 3 times in 10months. One time she ended up in hospital for the night and the only way to get fluids in was with a drip. I now worry each time she has it just in case we have to go through all that again.

Hi Michelle,
    we've just got gastro today. DD1 has it the poor thing. Im really worried that Coco will get it, I hate it when they're so young. Im just going to give extra breast feeds and hope for the best!!
    Glad to hear Kimberly seems to be getting better xoxo

Meg how is your DD doing ?
    Did Coco end up catching gastro ?

I ended up taking Kimberley to the hospital this morning as she was still not keeping anything down and i was starting to think it wasn't gastro as it had been going on way to long to be gastro and also none of us had been feeling ill. I sawa lovely doctor and he said it was a virus that was making her throw up. After an hour of fluids she was sent home and since then she's been fine.

Michelle, glad Kimberly is doing better. Damn gastro. It is the worst.
    Im still hoping Coco doesn't catch it. tilly's last vomit was on friday night, but she goes through stages of feeling really sick, so really it's been 3 days and not gone. Im hoping it starts to get better as she's back at school tomorrow. She's alright and then she'll eat and feel really sick.
    Im heading to tresillian tomorrow for the week, so hope coco and I remain well!!
    Hope Kimberly continues to improve!! xoxo