Thread: gastro and cows milk?

Question gastro and cows milk?

Milo has gastro, but is not vomiting.
    His nappies start of like liquid but get better as the day goes on, til the next morning when we're back to square 1.

Mum says its cos he is having milk (he has some in the morning, and a bottle at bed).

Should I not be giving him dairy while he's got it?

The doctor said not to change his diet as he wasn't vomiting...

back in the day, people were told to avoid all dairy if you had gastro...but now doctors are saying dont bother.

However, they do say that if it is an ongoing thing, then try to eliminate dairy and oily foods for a day or so to see if it improves.

Hope he feels better soon

Hey there Ray

Id water it down abit as I do that for Callum and he has been on Cows milk for about 2 1/2 months but found he had a runny nap and little bits of vomit now and then. We give him bout 200mls milk and say 50 or 60 mls water.

See ya

When Eliza was in hospital I rang Nurse on call and they told me not to give Eliza milk for 24 hrs to allow the vomitting to settle. Then she got so dehydriated and ended up in hospital NGT for 10 days. On the 9th day they decided as she wasnt getting enough fluid to give her milk and within 30 minutes she was a different child. Fluids are important if he will drink other fluids I think they said about 300mls a day drop the milk if not just dilute or cut down the amount.
    Bec

I know after kids get gastro sometimes they can become temporarily lactose intolerent, something about the lining of they stomach?

Maybe that's it, maybe the gastro has gone and now it's a reaction to the milk?

Kaitlyn has had a few bouts of Gastro and each time the Dr has told us to take her off dairy . This is apparently because the gastro bug feeds off the Lactuose in the dairy.

I have always taken her off until her poos have gone back to normal , she just drank soy milk and ate soy yogurt!.

Milo has never had soy milk, I might give him a little bit and see how he goes. Being an ex-vegan, I have tried lods of them and will pick the nicest tasting one that I've tried!

I rang my MCHN, and she said that they now say that dairy is fine, but in practice if I think its making his poos runnier to either water it down or skip it entirely. I tried the watering down, so will see how we go, but dirty nappies were down to 4 today from 7 yesterday!

I was tald to take Maria of dairy for a day or so and slowly reintroduce UHT milk first

well, we went back to see a different doctor today, and got completely different advice to what we were told previously.

About the opposite of what Danni wrote (which by the way is the version I prefer, and what we were told previously).

He said no food for 6-8 hours, no dairy etc, just hydrolyte or water. He also didn't look at Milos nappy rash but did send off for stool tests to make sure its not something we need antibiotics for. SO I was pleased about that part.

So I rang nurse-on-call due to all the conflicting advice, They were somewhere in between, but agreed on the 6 hours off solids, so we gave that a go today. It was hard Milo would not drink any of the hydrolyte, or the icypole version, or even water. then I tried a different flavour which worked well.

Bedtime was about 10 hours since the "fasting" so I gave him a 75% soy 25% water bottle, which he loved (I tried about a tablespoon of the soy earlier in the day to check he didn't react or anything)

We also made it through 3 hours of nappy free time with no poos, prob duie to the no food though. But good for the nappy rash.

Thanks every one for your advice.

Just wanted to update this.
    I think things might be finally getting back to normal.

It seemd to be on Sunday, but after I gave him milk, it went to hell again.
    So since then there has been no dairy, just soymilk, and today things seem like they might be better.

Will be keeping him on the soy for the rest of the week and then slowely go back to dairy after that.