Thread: general routines for a 2 month old.............

Kirsty77 Guest

Default general routines for a 2 month old.............

Hello lovely ladies

I am after some info(am wanting to pick your brains a bit!)

1.what were your general bedtime routines for your 2 month old?
    2.what were your general playtime routines?

Corey and I have been having trouble this last week putting Gemma to bed.We used to do the ' bottle, bath then bed' thing but thats not working now as she now LOVES to play.So we have to change things a bit and was wondering what worked for you.Last night we tried bath, then playtime(until she was nearly asleep), then a bottle then straight to bed.This seemed to work well.

Also I still don't feel like I'm playing with her enough! 8-[ I know she's only 8 weeks, but she doesn't like her playgym yet and still just loves mummy's face!Although she has started talking to her kick and play piano!She loves to stand with help and loves to be bounced on my knee(the rougher the better!shes highly active!).Is there anything else I can do.She just seems to get bored sitting still like when I'm reading to her.

Hi Kirsty,

Re: Bedtime routine - We did much the same as you. I'd give Hannah a bath, then bring her out with us for a little quiet family time until she started showing her tired signs, then I'd feed her in our room with the lights dim (at that age we used to have relaxation music on too...but we don't do that anymore), and then put her to bed (in a basinette beside our bed). Hannah has rarely had any problems settling at night initially - though we've had some major re-settling issues (after each sleep cycle - she'd wake 7 or 8 times a night). When I went to Riverton they suggested that my feeding to sleep tactic was what caused this - though I'm a big fan of gentle settling and would do it again with the next one anyway. I used to massage her after her bath too...but since she developed eczema I've been too scared that I'll irritate it further.

As for playtime, at 2 months, Hannah's favourite activities were mainly talking to us face to face, lots of kissed and cuddles, she liked it when we stood her up, and carried her around in the hug a bub, she liked her flutterbye dreams swing, lying under her playgym and just watching the toys above, sitting in a bouncinette watching us do whatever we were doing, her kick n' whirl carnival and singing stars gym, having some nappy free time and a massage. I also borrowed a book from the library about baby yoga - Hannah loves this! It can be done from birth, and mostly involves moving them around with you, a few gentle stretches etc. I still have the book out - but I will be taking it back today (it's overdue). So if you're interested, it should be in the Kingaroy library on Monday!

I wouldn't worry too much about structured play times. At this age they're mostly just interested in being with you, and trying out their new little voices and arms and legs! The best thing you can do is talk back to her and encourage and praise her efforts to move and communicate! Nothing made Hannah happier than being told she was a clever girl and being showered with kisses.

Melinda Guest

We always did bath, bottle, bed. The bottle would be done in Jacob's room with very minimal lighting - so that he worked out that it was time for his 'big' sleep IYKWIM?

As for playtime - the same kinds of things that Juliette has suggested, and what you are doing already. Are there any small toys that you have with mirrors and things on them? Jacob used to love looking in mirrors at himself, looking at photos, that kind of thing and he could hold very simple toys from a very early age too. I used to take him about in the rocker as well....so if I had to go outside to put washing on, I'd take him with me so he was in a different environment and looking at different things. He loved that.

Hey Kirsty,

Have you had a look at the thread on Toys & Games for Babies, Toddlers & Pre-Schoolers for some playtime ideas?

HTH.

We did bath massage feed then bed. I didn't play with her at night at all as I found it just sor of hyped her up IYKWIM?? The sooner they get used to night time, bedtime, the better for you! We tried to make about 7:00 our cut off time for visitors and getting her into the bath, that way we would have her down by 8ish at the latest (9 on a bad night) and it meant we had an hour to ourselves at night.

You really only have 15-30 mins each sleep cycle to play with them at this age, they can only take in so much, and all the other time awake should be about cuddles and feeding.

IN a few months time you will get heaps of play time in - dont worry!! But mirrors are great at the mo.

Fi