Thread: Gentle Parenting?

Question Gentle Parenting?

I've seen this term used a bit in these threads and was wondering if there was clear defintion? Obviously I know what gentle means!! But it seems to be a name for a specific style of parenting. If you don't do this style what are you called? Are there other named styles?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

It's more about letting your baby take the lead than leading the baby through routines/controlled crying etc. You have 'rituals' like bath, story, bed, but not on strict schedules for feeding and sleep. Lots about cues and baby led feeding.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Thank you!! Actually that sounds a lot like me so I'm happy with that! At first I think I thought it was important to have routines but I realised long a go that it doesn'[t work that way all the time and you have to follow baby's lead. Thanks!

Hi,

I think it's the way most parents would choose to raise their children. Because we love our children, and want them to be happy. We know how we like to be treated by others, and that's how we treat our children. We want respect. We want to be heard, and we want to know that others care for us, even when they have to point out where we might be making mistakes. It's all on the same spectrum. Unfortunately, many of us have had so little to do with children, and at the mercy of those who say "we should" do this and that - we are taught to ignore our inner voice. We are taught not to have empathy for our children - who are the dearest things to us, and are encouraged to treat our children a little harshly some-times believeing it will be "for their own good". Most of us find, however, a gentle empathic, loving approach works better - we are on the same team, in the end, not working against each ofther
    Warm Regards
    Barb

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

What she said!!! LOL!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.