Thread: Gifts for second baby

Default Gifts for second baby

Hi,

my girlfriend is pregnant with her second child, due on 23/9.
    She has a 2 year old daughter, and doesn't know the sex of her unborn baby.

What sort of gifts do you think I could get, given that she has a lot of stuff already?
    There are obvious things to get if this baby is a boy, but if she has a girl what things would you suggest?

Well we have number 2 arriving and is another girl. I have put together a list for friends, but mainly I've asked for disposable items, like nice baby wash (Gaia organic products), nappies, wipes etc... I have asked for items that cost me $$ and that I will be going through in the first year. We have heaps of clothes, but Matilda was born on the opposite side of the year, so I have gone out & gotten a few things just for Jovie. I think its nice too for them to have a few outfits of their own... not heaps but I've bought Jovie 2 outfits of every size just for her. Everything else can be hand-me-downs . I also have wanted clean wraps so they are new just for her. So maybe sus out, you could always get a gift certificate to target baby or a baby shop to go towards something they maybe eyeing off.

Our baby shower is having a $$ tree to go towards house cleaning for us for the first month...

Even though she already has a girl it is still nice to get new stuff for your new baby, iykwim. I would probably steer away from teddies and stuffed toys though as she would already have plenty of those.. Hmm am I double shuffling here. LOL.

Ok, basically just buy for her what you would if she didn't already have a baby. Perhaps even a new photo album. All babies need their own one of those. Or, if really uncertain as her.

ETA, Oh Christy was a super idea. I wish I had thought of that. LOL.
    Last edited by Trish; September 11th, 2006 at 02:56 PM.

Melinda Guest

I think gifts of practical items like Christy suggested are a great idea. I know I recently bought a friend of mine a box of nappies as a gift and she really appreciated that! The things like wipes, nappies, wraps, nice baby products (shampoo and the like) are always great gifts I think.

A new photo album is a great idea too, or perhaps one of those books that you record the baby's milestones in?

I would make a nice little hamper full of disposable items. Then wrap it in cellophane and it looks like you went to more of an effort too

My friend just had her second baby too and even though she had a boy the second time (her first is a girl) I had a list in my head of things to buy if she had another girl. These included;

A baby Journal
    A baby Album
    A blanket for baby so they could have a special one of their own
    Bath towels with baby's name embroided on it. I got some when I had Allegra in standard size so she will still be able to use them as she gets older.
    New Wraps - muslin or terry. These tend to get battered
    A sheepskin (if she likes them) its nice for baby to have their own for their pram

Hope that helps!

For all three of ours, we have brought them their own special teddy/stuffed animal - Lindsay has a teddy, Erin has a bunny and Paige has a sheep - all different and they still all use them as comfort items.

Having something personalised is great too, it makes that item belong to no-one else.