Thread: Going from 2 naps to 1 nap

Fee Guest

Default Going from 2 naps to 1 nap

The past two mornings Cooper has woken at 5.00 am for a feed (what he normally does) but has then been sleeping until nearly 8.00 am.

That means he is not having a morning nap. He just doesn't seem tired. Today he was exhausted straight after lunch and during the BF he just conked out (about 12.30 pm).

The day before he had a nap around 2.00 pm but it was only 45 minutes! I don't think this is enough. I think at this age he should be having 2.5 to 4 hours sleep during the day. Is that right? But then I also read 13-14 hours in total - I guess he's been getting that overnight then?

Did anyone else's bub go to 1 sleep so early?

I really wish Cooper would just sleep until 6.00 am. I would be happy to feed him and then get up to start the day at this time. 5.00 am is a bit too early to get up so that's why I put him back to bed. But sleeping until 8.00 am seems so late! I hate sleeping that late!

But as I said above he's only done this for the past two mornings ... it could all change again any moment!

it could all change again any moment
    It sure could, and therein lies the problem!

Olivia was on 2 sleeps for ever.....until she was 18 months......but she was a bit like clockwork in that she woke at 7am every single day, so it was easy to organise 2 sleeps.

Charlie, however, at around 10 months, started doing what Cooper is doing, and because of Olivia it was actually much easier for me have them both down at the same time for a nap at lunchtime, so I "took advantage" and moved him to 1 sleep......lunch at around 11.30, then bed, and he would sleep till around 3.30.....

Some days he would conk out in the car, so I would transfer him to bed for a lunchtime nap and he would wake (not surprisingly) earlier as he was hungry.....

Same deal with lexie actually........becasue we are out adn about so much with Olivia and Charlie, she often just gets one big lunchtime nap and she is fine with it.....

Fee Guest

The only problem is that so far his 1 sleep has been so short. Not even an hour!

Matthew cut down to one sleep a day at 12 months.

Adrian is a different story, he doesn`t like sleeping, for a long time now I`ve been lucky to get two very short sleeps out of him but for the last couple of weeks he`s been having one sleep a day where he`ll sleep anywhere between 30 minutes to 2 hours, he`ll then go to bed at night at 8/9pm and gets up at 7am (he gets up during the night for feeds anywhere between 1 - 3 times).

I feel Adrian doesn`t get enough sleep but he totally refuses his sleep until he needs it.

paradise lost Guest

I'm trying to move Esme to 1 nap. We get up at 7-8am, she used to nap 11-12 then 4-5 but recently she's not tired until 9pm if she sleeps twice (and bedtime is 8pm at LATEST so this is not handy...). I'm currently letting her lay a little later in the morning (she never cries and if i ignore he initial "i'm awake" chatting she nods off again after 5 minutes) getting her up closer to 8 (i LOVE lying in!) and keeping her awake until after lunch. she sleeps 2 - 2.5 hours if i do it this way. But as you say, it's not the same everyday... LOL.
    H

Sophie has just cut out her 2nd sleep and she is nearly 15 months old...reading my sleeping pattern for babies during their first 2 years, and it says a 10 month old should typically get 14 hrs recommended total sleep in a 24 hr period (every bubs is diff of course).
    HOw much sleep is he getting in a 24 hr period? What time are you putting him to bed at night?

Sophie wakes up at 7am and ive stretched her only sleep till 1130am...she will sleep till 130pm and in bed for the night at 630pm....i dont think its enuf sleep for a 15 month old, but she seems happy, content.....

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mbear View Post
    HOw much sleep is he getting in a 24 hr period? What time are you putting him to bed at night?
    He normally sleeps from 6.30 pm (7.00 pm at the latest) to 5.00 am. I then feed him. After that 5.00 am feed he goes back to bed.

For a while he was only sleeping until 6.30 am or 7.00 am after that feed but the past few days he has been sleeping until 8.00 am. This is when he has been just having one nap as he stays awake for 4 hours at least without being tired.

So that's a 10 hour stretch and then another 2.5 hours or so. So 12.5 hours overnight. And then just one day nap and like I said, it's only been short. Today was 1hr15m though (we were in the car). Yesterday it was only 45 minutes.

A while back we tried getting up after the 5.00 am feed. Was a bit of an early start though!!!

paradise lost Guest

Dee, DD kept getting up for her 5am feed until i weaned her from the breast (7 months, earlier than i'd planned) as waking for a bottle/breakfast at that time apparently wasn't worth it to her. DOes your DS ever have a bottle (of BM or FF?). Maybe you could try offering him that at 5am (DH could do it! YAY!), or a drink of water even, it's likely he'll be happy after a few days to wait and have brekfast at 6.30 or whatever with you...?

Just a thought.

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hoobley View Post
    Dee, DD kept getting up for her 5am feed until i weaned her from the breast (7 months, earlier than i'd planned) as waking for a bottle/breakfast at that time apparently wasn't worth it to her. DOes your DS ever have a bottle (of BM or FF?). Maybe you could try offering him that at 5am (DH could do it! YAY!), or a drink of water even, it's likely he'll be happy after a few days to wait and have brekfast at 6.30 or whatever with you...?

Just a thought.
    I think you're directing this at me (Fee)??? Not actually Dee?!

Anyway if so... no Cooper has never had a bottle of formula or even EBM. I think I've tried offering water but he won't go back to sleep.

Maybe it's something I could try again though. I think my MCHN suggested it once.

paradise lost Guest

LOL! Yes, sorry Fee, and Dee, i meant Fee. I'm not pregnant OR BF and i STILL can't think straight... LMAO...