Thread: Going back to work tomorrow.... reassurance needed!!!

Default Going back to work tomorrow.... reassurance needed!!!

Hi,

I need reassurance that everything will be okay. I am heading back to full time work and I start tomorrow. I have a 2.5yr old DS who goes to this day care 2 days as it is and he has been full time before but I also have a nearly 5 month old as well. I am feeling so sad because he is still so small and I am the only one in his life that has fed him, comforted him, put him to bed, reassured him etc. and now I am handing him over to daycare mum (who I completely trust) but still!!!!! I am going to be expressing at work (a completely new job and I told them in the interview that I will be) so I am hoping that I can do this without a problem until bub is at least 12 months.... I am sure there are plenty of mums on BB that have been back to work full time when their bubs have been so young - CAN YOU PLEASE REASSURE ME THAT EVERYTHING WILL WORK OUT AND BE OKAY!!!! xxoo

I won't lie, it will be hard at first, but you will get through it. I went back to work part time when Nina was 6 months old, and it was hard, but I perseveered. I was expressing as well, and each time I expressed, I felt that connection between us, even though she wasn't with me.
    Good luck with everything. You can do this.

Hope everything is going ok for you.
    I remember my first day back at work, I cried when I dropped Ash off at IL's cried again when I got to work, felt so guilty like I'd dumped her off! yet she had a great day and was fine, just me that was stressing!
    Hope the expressing is going ok, have they got somewhere nice and private for you to do it?

The hardest part is the expressing and keeping enough EBM for feeds. I am a slow expresser so it takes time at work to get the volume. But, we are still doing it and so far it is all good nearly 2 months after going back to work. Good luck

Just wanted to say good luck! I am sure it will be tricky at first, dealing with work, trusting day care, expressing, etc. Eventually it will fall into a pattern of its own and it will get easier - everything does in the end. Just look after yourself, make sure you still get plenty of rest, food, water etc. Lots of mums do it, so dont' feel guilty. Indulge in a little cry if you have to, it is good for the soul.

Good luck again

My DD started childcare 3 days a week at about the same age as you little one. It was much harder on me than her. She had a brilliant time and loves it so much. She bonded very quickly with the carers and with a couple of the kids (who she gets so excited to see!). I have no regrets (other than missing my angel). Feel free to call the centre throughout the day to check on your bubba if you need to. I certainly did and still do at times.

Have a great first day back at work!

Love MG

Thanks all so much for your thoughts and stories.. I thought I would give you all an update.

I dropped both my boys off and gave my day care mum the run down, didn't want to hand him over. I cried and cried as I was walking out the door with my daycare mum apologising.... I didn't let my 2.5 yr old see me crying, I cried all the way to my sisters house for a coffee before I went to work. I rang my daycare mum twice during the day and each time he was sleeping, she said he took a bottle fine and haven't heard a peep from him, he was having a blast watching all the other kids...

Expressing went well - I managed to express twice during the day each time getting a full bottle (so 2 feeds).... So I am confident that I can actually do this. They have a conference room that is never used during the day so I get to use that so it is private, clean and I can relax and it only takes me about 15 minutes...

So even though it is only the first day I am sure that things will only go forward from here.
    Thanks again for all of your kind words and support... it means the world.

xxoo Micky xxoo

yay good on you, at least with the expressing now you've seen how well that went that will be one thing off your mind.

And knowing the boys went well also, things will get easier as you start to feel more comfortable dropping them off there.

Fantastic effort Micky
    Going back to work is so much harder for us mums than our kids. I was an absolute wreck at the thought of leaving Livvy in someone else's care before no-one can look after your kids like mum does.
    Olivia absolutely loves her childcare. As we walk down the hallway to the nursery she claps and waves to everyone when we walk in the room. She then pushes off me and squeals until I put her on the floor and off she crawls. I don't even get a look over the shoulder. When we go and pick her up she is always doing something and playing. We get a smile when she sees us but then she keeps on playing. Your boys will adjust beautifully and so will you. Great effort with your expressing too. What you said is exactly right "YOU CAN DO THIS".
    Best of luck.