Thread: Going mad - baby is extremely upset ???

Default Going mad - baby is extremely upset ???

Im going mad, my once happy, easy going baby is now a screaming fidgeting monster :frown: I dont know whats wrong with him and can only guess at what might be the issue. Ive tried everything to do with teething and it only seems to bring a little relief. Its getting to the point where I cant take him out and all I do at home is hold him and try to comfort him. I feel like such a bad mother when I get so frustrated I have to hand him to Dh and walk away for 10 min. Is there anything else I can try to do to hopefully settle him and keep my sanity????

Oh Anna - we've had times like this too.. especially around that 3 month mark! It's very normal for them to go through this stage. Ours was compounded by AF making a return, giving us some fussiness on the breast, so we definitely had some unsettled times where I could only get him to sleep, and stay asleep on me. It's probably something you'll just have to wait out, and it'll soon pass.

Once you rule out pain, nappy, hunger etc... it's so hard to know what to do. You're doing a great job comforting Jett tho. Hopefully he'll settle down for you again soon.

Anna, I also was going to suggest he may be having some problems with the types of food you are feeding him?
    Other than that, Xander is always going through phases of being quite unsettled - though at the moment it is because of teething. If Jett is teething, you could try panadol or a cold wet flannel as he is still a bit young for Bonjela etc.

No, you are not a bad mother for passing him to your DH when you have had enough... actually, I think that is the best thing you could do as we all need a break sometimes; even if only for 5-10mins whilst we step away and compose ourselves again. I'd go nuts if I didn't do this.

I don't think you're a bad mother either. I had to do this today because I was so tired I couldn't handle Lincoln crying whilst I tried putting him to sleep. I think it's smart to hand them over to give ourselves a break. You're doing a great job.

How is Jett now Anna? Did you figure out what it was... or was it just one of those typical baby mysteries?

Anna, I hope Jett is doing better. Tom is the same age and does the same thing sometimes. I haven't figured out what it is yet either, but I think it's a combination. I suspect that his mouth is sore ready for teething. But I think his screaming seems to be particularly bad when he is overtired. I think the problem might be that the sore mouth stops him from going to sleep and then he gets so tired all he can do is scream. Usually I can fix it by putting him in the sling and walking around until he drops off and then when he's sleeping well I put him in the cot. Usually taking him out of the sling wakes him, but when he's been so upset he sleeps so deeply that I can move him without waking him. HTH. I'm sure it's only temporary hun, hang in there!

Anna youre not a bad mother at all.. these things happen.. and you trying to comfort him they way you are makes you a great mother as you are generally concerned for him.

Only thing i could suggest is maybe an upset tummy like the others or maybe a little wind? How does he go if you stick him over your shoulder and a bit of a back rub?