Thread: Going to the movies with a baby

Default Going to the movies with a baby

What do people think of this? Have you done it?

We haven't been since before Kynan was born. DH really wants to go and wants me to come too so of course Kynan will have to come as he's BF & refuses to have bottles of EBM (plus we don't really know anyone here well enough yet to trust them to babysit). I've been a bit reluctant to agree to going though as I'd hate to disturb everyone if he were to get grizzly or cry during the movie.

Angel, check out if there are sessions that are baby friendly. On a Wednesday morning the cinemas near us have "babes in arms" which is where mums & dads can take their babies to normal movies (ie not kids ones) without having to worry about disturbing others. Only problem is it's 1 session per week, during the day & you have to put up with other peoples kids!

katanya Guest

Angel. DP and I took Felix before he was about 4 months several times..the trick is to take them when they are ready for a nap..then hopefully they will sleep through..

I have done the babes in arms things but I often find that other peoples kids are more trouble than him..

I took Felix the other day for the first time in ages to a kids movie, it was at 10:30 and by the end he feel asleep braestfeeding on my lap..the dark and the music must have done it..

I'd juts give it a go, you might be surprised and then you have a great activity to do..

I have seen the baby sessions advertised. We download all the current movies so that is even better. Saw Charlie and Choc Factory about 6 weeks ago.

My SIL actually recommended Shane and I do this before its too late - ie crawling..... You could possibly get away with it while they are still havint good daytime naps, if you wanted to do the daytime thing. Then when they wake you can feed, and get all up about 90-120 mins of quietish time wiiht them?
    Although - in my pre-baby days, I would've got pretty annoyed if a baby had cried during a movie I paid $12 + to see.. .. Oh how we change our tunes when babies come along! 8-[

Debbie Lee Guest

Angel - I have never thought of taking Gabby to the movies unless it was a special baby session (it's called "Spit the Dummy" at Readings... very cute ). But, now that I have thought about it, Gabby would probably be quiet for the whole thing. The loud noise and the darkness would probably work a treat. Still... I would worry about what others would think so I don't know if I would be that brave. Let us know how you go!

Thanks guys Might have to give it a go. DH wants to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory so that might be a good one to start with as there will probably be heaps of noisy kids there.

I've heard of those babes in arms movie sessions and have checked out our local cinema's website but they don't seem to have them Oh well that's small towns for you LOL.

Hi Angel..i love going to the movies and tried it this week with Sammy and he was a perfect darling...so much so that we went again. The great thing with breast fed bubs is that you can feed them and then they will hopefully doze off. Going when there are lots of kids sounds like a great first time

Jo

Tigergirl1980 Guest

We haven't been yet but we are really wanting to, we're thinking we might go to the drive in, then it doesn't matter if he wakes up and cries

Colleen Guest

yep thats what we do,go to the drive in, normally the drive there sends him to sleep so it all works out nicely!

THE DRIVE IN!!

Thank you girls, for reminding me of the drive in!

When we were pre-baby we used to go to the movies at the drive in a lot in Adelaide, and loved it.

Now......I am planning........take Olivia & Charlie for a nice drive beforehand, they will both fall asleep in the car, and Mummy & Daddy can enjoy a movie & eat lots of junk food!

Debbie Lee Guest

Awwww... wish we had a drive in near us! We used to. Mum took us when we were kids. We saw "Curly Sue" and "Bill and Ted's Awesome Adventure". Very cool!

Colleen Guest

aww , theres one in coburg but yeah its a bit far, we are quite lucky here, dandenong is 15 mins away, dromana is 30mins and coburg is about 45mins

We hardly ever go but once the weather gets a bit better we might..

Well since it's our anniversary today we decided to finally go to the movies and see Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. There was hardly a peep out of Kynan. He slept in the Hug-A-Bub for most of it, had a feed, and then sat in my lap for the last 20 minutes or so and laughed at the movie (very cute!).

Don't suppose it would have mattered terribly if he'd had a little grizzle as there were only 2 other people there LOL!

Thanks Kate

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Happy Anniversary Angel, glad to hear that Kynan was a good boy and that you had a good time

I also went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with DH and Maggie. She did quite well, except she was a bit difficult to feed occaisionaly. She kept on turning her head to see the screen. She also had a very excited giggle during the scene where they go into the factory. I couldn't think of a better movie to be a baby's first movie, even though she won't remember it.

I think next time though we will try the drive in, that way I will be a bit more relaxed about the possibility of her crying.

Astrid