Thread: Going out with bub

Default Going out with bub

My DS is 15 weeks old and catnaps during the day. He can get quite grumpy and unsettled if he doesn't get some sleep. He can also be pretty hard to get to sleep at times. My question is, how do you go out visiting with a small baby when you know they need sleep and can get into quite a state if they don't get it? Does anyone find it hard going out with a baby? Mine will only stay in the pram for at most 15 mins before crying. I try him in the bjorn as well and that can work on some occassions. Mostly I'm just wondering what people do when they visit other people at their houses? Do people just stay home? I often just resort to this but get quite lonely at times and feel isolated. Any good suggestions?

On most occasions Ashleigh does get unsettled if we are out and she is tired. She has trouble settling in unfamiliar environments. My way of quieting her downis to chuck her on the boob and once she is calm I put her in the pram and cover it to block out stimulation and rock the pram til she's asleep.
    If your son won't sleep in the pram could you let him lie on your lap for awhile? Or maybe wait til he has just woken from a sleep and the go out to give yourself sometime out before he is due to sleep again. Sometimes I do that with Ashleigh and she has a nice sleep in the car.

Oh Mads thats a great idea bout the bouncer, I should try that one at friends places.

All those things are good ideas. Jack used to sleep anywhere, usually I'd take a little rug and put it on the floor. He'd sleep on it for ages. Tom doesn't fall asleep as easily so I usually put him in the sling when out and he always falls straight asleep. It's a pocket (or ring) sling so he can lie in it and sleep comfortably.

I hope you find something that works. Don't just stay home or you'll go stir crazy.

I am quite lucky in the fact that Tori sleeps anywhere, but she has to have her dummy and she has a small sheepskin teddy that she likes to cuddle up too to sleep. Maybe try taking something familiar from home, like the blanket for the bassinet, or music box etc, whatever you use at home to indicate that it is sleep time.

Kiara is pretty good most of the time... if she is unsettled though i JUST let her sleep in my arms. She still sleeps at night, so i am not too fussed.

We go out more often than not, she doent like the pram for sleeping in all day, but will sometimes.

The above suggestions are all good... if worst case, just let hime sleep in your arms!

Caty sleeps wherever....in her bassinet, other people's arms, bjorn.
    One thing though - if she's not asleep but you know she needs one, don't let other people say 'oh well, she's awake so I'll have a hold' - I did this once and so of course all the stimulation kept her wide awake and she was pretty awful that evening and night...though I guess it depends on if the person holdign her is content to just hold, or if they hold her up to their faces and talk etc.
    Don't let your bubs stop you from doing normal things....or you'll be housebound forever!

angelique Guest

Gosh I understand your frustration.

I would rush to do everything and then run to put her in the cot when it was sleep time (although this is not for everyone but it worked for me). The lull of the stroller and the car would calm her and then I could put her into bed without a fuss. It does get easier when they are older as they stay up longer.

Fee Guest

Cooper can be hard to settle at friend's houses. I usually end up standing up with him over my shoulder and he eventually falls asleep on me!!! Or once I tried lying him across my lap on his tummy and jiggling my legs and he fell asleep!!!

If it's a big outing like an all day party or something at night, Cooper is usually pretty good at sleeping in his portacot.

But yes, it's those shorter, day time outings that can be hard.

Fraser Guest

for some reason when we're out Charlie will fall asleep on anyone but me! so I just palm him off to whomever is closest! alot of the time though he wont sleep and grizzles so we take it in turns wlkaing around with him - he likes to watch people and see what's going on, so removing him from the room or putting him in a portacot just doesn't work for us - generally we end up with a grumpy bub he sleeps as soon as he gets in his car seat!

I figure the more often we go out and stay at people's houses the quicker he is likely to get used to it.

Yep, if we're going to someone's house we'll always take Jesse's bouncer and his mat. He always falls asleep on both quite easily. At the shops i guess im lucky, hes really good. If he's tired he'll just fall asleep in the pram, i just cover his legs with a sheet to keep him snug if hes asleep. Also take his dummies with us wherever we go, also helps.

HI 1timeMum

Don't stay at home - you'll go mad....it is nerve racking going out with a new bub as you can never predict how they will react - if they will sleep the whole time or grizzle away continuously. Strangely enough I find Rylee likes going out - loves looking at all the new things, people etc, it keeps her quiet for a while - if she gets grizzly - I try settling her on the boob, other people are always keen to hold her, though sometimes she just gets so tired she will fall alseep on me. We have been out a few times to restaurants and I panic beforehand thinking she will kick up a fuss and the whole restaurant will be cross at me for interrupting their night out, but she has slept the whole time, if she is grizzly at first I just take her out of the pram/carry cot, hold her for a bit so she can see what is going on and then put her back. I know this may not help your situation but please don't stay at home - hopefully the more you get out the more your bub will get used to being out and it is good for YOU too . Best of luck.
    Laurin