Thread: green poo

julesy Guest

Question green poo

our bub has just started on more frepuent formula feeds as I am weaning her (she is used to having one formula bottle a night) and in the last week, her poos have been grey/green cementish in consistency (or plasticine in conisitency). I have heard that green poo can mean a lactose intolerance.

Does anyone have any advice or experiences to share??? I am wondering if I should put her on Karicare lactose free. She is currently on NAN1 HA Gold.

Thanks!

I am not an expert, but I know that green poo can also happen when you have an oversupply of milk (I think bcos bub gets too much fore milk which is higher in lactose). You say you are weaning, so reading between the lines it sounds like you are still bfing but less frequently. If I had to guess I would say that bcos bub isn't bfing so often, she is getting a lot of foremilk when she feeds and not so much hind milk. If this is the case you could probably fix it by expressing a bit before feeding her. It will probably resolve itself anyway as part of the weaning process.

julesy Guest

Thanks that does make sense. I'll keep an eye on it as she gets more formula and less breast milk!

juelsy

Julesy, this is very normal colour poo for a formula fed baby. My DD is on the same formula and her poo is that colour all the time! Sage green as we like to call it LOL!!! The HA formula is really good and I have used it for both my girls. If you are still concerned, talk to your health nurse. But I would say nothing to worry about.

Jesse has been FF since he was just over a week old and all of his poos are a green khaki colour.. they should be soft in consistancey, ive read to be like plasticine or to look like paste.. so id say you DD's poos are definately normal. If youre happy with that formula i wouldnt bother changing, as changing brands can upset their tummies.