Thread: greenish poo colour....

Default greenish poo colour....

.....can someone give me advice as to why?

My daughter, Kayla, is almost 10 weeks old. She is BF and also has been getting top up feeds with formula. All up she might have 180ml of formula a day. She was on S26 Gold, but when ECHN was here for the home visit, she suggested to use Nestle Nan HA, as it is easier for them to digest (and I get psoriosis from dairy and can not have it, so the ECHN suggested that if Kayla had formula, to use the Nan HA, as she is less likely to get a reaction from it :-k ). We were only giving Kayla maybe one bottle of formula every 3 days, so we stuck to just buying the S26 sachets. But then she started feeding every 2-2.5hrs and was still a bit upset. We would try her with a bottle 20min after a feed and she would scoff it down. Obviously my milk is not enough for her. So we figured that if she was going to have formula everyday, that we might aswell buy a tin, so we bought Nan HA.

She has been having Nan HA for about now smell extremely eggy (quite embaressing really )

Anyway, getting to the point, she poos maybe every 3 days, which I have heard is normal, but the last two poos she did have been greenish.

Could this be due to her fromula or could it be something else?

She is happy and the poo is a normal soft consistancy (not dioharrea), and she seems to be putting on an average of 20g per day.

We were at the docs on Friday due to a blocked tear duct, and I asked about her smelly farts, discussed formula etc. She asked whether her poos are green. I said no, because at that time they weren't. She said that's good because it could be a sign of malnutrition.

Can someone maybe help?

Thanks

Hi Nadine,

The green poos are more than likely caused by the formula. Josh was on NAN HA for a while and it made his poos a dark green colour too. There have been a few other mums on BB who have mentioned that their bubs were the same on NAN. I think it has something to do with the iron content in the formula.

HTH

I think that the green poo is most likely to be from the iron in the formula.
    If Kayla is gaining weight I doubt that you need to worry about malnutrition.

Thanks heaps

I had read about the iron in the formula, but wasn't sure.

HI - My DD Kyla is on Nan 1HA gold and has always had green/grey poo's. It's definatley the formula and iron content!

Hey Nadine - We look very similar don't we??

Melinda Guest

Yeah it's the additional iron in the formula. Are they like a khaki green colour?! Jacob's were that colour too when he was on formula!

HTH!

Wilson Guest

Yeah Harrison had the same thing Nadine when i was still breastfeeding and comping, they said it was normal and once he adjusted to it it went away and back to normal.

Kyla's have never gone back to normal, I wonder why?

Carrie- Yep, could be twins

Thanks again everyone for your replies.

Also did any of your bubs have really smelly farts? Kayla is always farting and they are REALLY eggy.

LOL! Yep...Nan Gold strikes again!

Melinda Guest

Jacob's were khaki green for quite a while! It didn't change again until he started on some solids.

I am so glad I read this ! Alex does green poo too - khaki, olive, heritage green ... and he's on mostly formula now at 5.5 months and we use the Heinz starter formula. And a lot of his poos are little nugget ones now and a lot more often.

WOW - where else could you go to talk about baby poo !