Thread: Grobag confusion!!

Default Grobag confusion!!

With the nights getting colder and DS turning into a mega-wiggle bum when he sleeps, it is time to think about getting a grobag or similar for winter. But I am pretty confused! Can someone answer the following questions....?

1. What is this TOG business? What is the highest TOG? What TOG should I get for winter for a house that gets pretty cold at night?

2. Grobag is the brand, right? Are there any other brands that are as good (but maybe less expensive)??

3. Can you get any of these at Target or Myer? I have a coles myer card I am thinking about using for this purchase.

4. None of them seem to have sleeves. Is that right? What do you put them in under the bag to make sure their arms keep warm?

I think that's all! Thank you!!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Ok hun they are great and easy!!

We have been using a 1 tog since sept with a wondersuit and singlet under it on cooler night, warmer night a short sleeved jumpsuit.

No they dont have sleeves on them that is right

Have a 2.5 tog for winter as that is warmest.

I got mine at baby bunting and also bought Dremabags online the other week that are just as fantastic and cheaper by far!!! (eg i got 2 for price of 1 grobag granted this was a sale but still)

Target have just started stocking a British brand cant think of name and havent used.

I also have a big w Thomas the tank fleecy one with long sleeves that he will wear if others are all in wash and not dry (should happen have 3 in size 6 - 18 months 1 x 2.5 tog and 2 x 1 tog)

does that help you

Jessica, I used a 2.5 tog for mine during winter. When you buy a new bag it comes with a wall thermometer and it has a guide on the back for what to dress them in depending on what temp is. From memory on a cold night it is a long sleeve bodysuit with long sleeve PJ top, and a not so cold night is just a long sleeve bodysuit.

When mine were standing I switched them to snugtime sleepers and actually preferred them because they have legs in them (and long arms) the heaviest in them is a 1.5 tog, but I would dress them in pyjamas and a bodysuit underneath, and they were very snuggly - plus they looked like little teletubbies!! You can get them on ebay or there is also a website

Bags should be sleeveless to meet SIDSnKids recommendations.
    Grobag is a brand, other brans I can think of are the dreambag ones feeb mentioned, living textiles, natures purest, snugtime.

Most 2.5 tog grobags will be high fire danger, this is the same with most bedding, because it IS bedding, not pjs, and often freaks people out a bit.

I have only used the cotton/flannel ones, I wouldnt use 100% fleece for night time.

That's a good point for young babies RayRay, however the largest age risk for SIDS is between 1 & 4 months, so once they are standing, it is actually reccommended that you do not use them because it 'can'' cause injury to them if they are trying to stand (my boy actually got a large bump to the head trying to stand and getting his feet caught under him and smashing his forhead on the cot). This info was given to me when I took my bub to sleep school by one of the midwives. So at that age a bag with sleeves is fine, however you need to make sure you don't overdress them underneath because a child can overheat at any age.

I love grobags. Oskar has been in the 1 tog over the whole of summer... we do use the a/c to cool the room down though. There were some times over last winter where I'd add one extra layer of a singlet or something.

I have looked at other brands and stuck with the grobag as I noticed on another one the neck area was a lot larger etc so he could slip down into it a lot easier where with the grobag he hasn't a chance. The no sleeves is so that they still get some circulation and don't get too hot.... when we get hot at night we tend to uncover our arms.

I guess it depends how early they stand - DS didnt stand til he walked, which was about 14 months

Thank you all!I feel very informed.

So I like the idea of legs because DS already gets caught up in his summer cheap-o bags because he thumps his feet around so much. But I also like the idea of no sleeves for temperature regulation. Anyone ever seen a sleep suit with legs but no sleeves (like overalls, I guess!)?!!