Thread: Grobags...what TOG and what to wear?

Default Grobags...what TOG and what to wear?

Hey guys

We use grobags for Felix and have the 0.5, 1.0 and 2.5 TOG versions.

I'm just a bit confused at the moment as to which one to use...

When Felix goes to bed it's around 23 degrees...but by early morning it's around 18-19 degrees...

When I read the guide, it says a 1.0 TOG for above 21 degrees and 2.5 for under 21 degrees...and different clothes depending upon the temps.

So..I'm confused...

I don't want him to get too hot...so I've been putting him in 1.0 TOG...but I think he's getting cold at night...

So...any suggestions?

Do I dress him in clothes and grobag according to the coldest temp. in the night or in something that suits the temps. for when he goes to bed?

Would really appreciate your suggestions...

I've had Izzy in her 2.5 tog bag for the last 4 nights or so with a long sleeve pyjama top on underneath but no legs. Last week whenever we had that first cool night she had legs too.

I basically dress Iz according to how we are feeling at night (or at least DH at the moment until my pregnancy heater disappears!). We have a latex bed which is very warm and while DH sleeps in jocks only, he's got the winter doona pulled up to his ears by early morning, not to mention his hot water bottle wife.

I would be inclined to dress Felix for the early morning cool, given that he's going to wake up if he gets cold and wake his mummy!! Just make sure he's not too hot when you put him to bed at night. Depends on Felix's room obviously, but we leave Izzy's sliding door and two windows open when she goes to bed, but then close them to stop the breeze when we go to bed.

And having waffled all that, just give the warmer grobag a go and see what happens!

Thanks Lulu!

I've put him in the 2.5 TOG tonight with a long sleeved body suit with no legs...

So we'll see how that goes!

i always went the warmer option with DS in situations like that, and we never really had an issue with it (and he was a hot baby)

oh i am going against the trend here LOL! N is quite a hot baby and DH especially is PARANOID about him overheating... so i basically only use 1 tog bags... and use a long sleeve, long legs body suit underneath... that said we keep his room at 22 degs all night so that works and we use the same bag tog all year (so far!). I do have one 0.5 tog and one 2.5 tog for when we go away or for extreme days/nights but thats how we do it...
    will see how that goes in the depths of winter though!

I use a .5 tog with a suitie and singlet underneath and socks and a blanket (i know!). Like u say Perth nights have been 22 deg at 10pm then 10 degrees at 4am so I just take the rug in and off. I also got a mini de Longi oil heater that I put on low one night last wk early in the am after a feed.

I've been using the 1 tog and putting Oskar in a long sleeve, no leg jumpsuit, long pants and a pair of socks. I think it's been as cold as 19 in the morning lately. As it gets a bit cooler I will put a singlet on him as well. Haven't got a 2.5 tog yet. Will get one soon though as we move more into winter nights.

How did Felix go in the warmer grobag Monnie? I'm finding it really difficult just at the moment - Izzy's room faces west with lots of glass and these really warm days are keeping her room really warm still when she goes to bed!

Hey Lulu

Yeah...I definitely think he is better in the warmer grobag...but like you, when he goes to bed it's still quite warm...

It doesn't seem to bother him though and he's certainly not sweaty or hot when I go in and feed him at 10pm-ish.

Thanks so much for your advice...I feel much happier that he is warm in the wee hours of the morning...as the temperature really seems to drop in his room.

Hey...and congratulations on your pregnancy!

Silly question.. what does TOG stand for? and how do I know what size or what number to get?

I have seen these and wondered if they were a good idea or not

Hey Nic

Not a silly question at all...

TOG is a measure of thermal resistance (apparently!) and the higher the TOG, the warmer the fabric.

Grobags generally come in 0.5, 1.0 and 2.5 TOG. The 0.5 TOG is for over 24 degrees (in the nursery), the 1.0 for between 20-24 and the 2.5 for under 20 degrees...

You can also change what your baby wears to make the grobag for cooler or warmer temperatures.

Grobags are fantastic in that you don't have to worry about your baby kicking their blankets off at night as they are like mini sleeping bags that come over the shoulders.

I love them...but they are expensive! You can get them in 0-6 months, 6-18 months and 18-36 months. I started using them with Felix when he was about 12 weeks old...but thankfully my SIL lent me hers so I didn't need to buy them until he graduated to the next size (at 6 months).

You can get them a little cheaper off Ebay and some websites occassionally have sales where the discontinued patterns are heavily reduced...(I got brand new ones at half price!).

Anyway...hope that helps!

Thanks for that. I will look into them a bit more. Prob off ebay as I don't want to spend a lot of money and my little miss is a midnight wiggler so I think she will kick off her blankets..

Nic- there are cheaper alternatives that are just as good as grobags- IMO. Thye Living Textiles brand ones are Dream Smart or Smart Dream and are gorgeous and great quality and I think about $40-$50 compared to around $70-$80 for the grobags. They have a website...

Thanks for that deirdre

Off topic again lol.. what do you guys think of the snug as a bug blankets ?

I've got a snug as a bug blanket (you mean the one that has legs and feet built in and then you wrap the arms right?). I love it - great for out and about in the pram because you can keep the harness on but they're still wrapped nice and toasty.

I have grobags and a mamas & papas bag and agree that some of the cheaper ones are just as good - just make sure you get natural fibre ones, not synthetics. Also, from my experience the bags that come with the hole in the bottom so you can slide the car seat or pram harness through are a pain in the ar*e - my DD constantly gets her leg through it.

Glad Felix is a happier little man Monnie. Hopefully this pregnancy of mine won't last much longer!!

oh thats for that info. I thought the ones with the holes would be a good idea..

I know I don't get as cold weather up here in QLD but we still have chilly mornings when I go for a walk ect..

Been looking on ebay already lol