Thread: Guard rail on bed

Kellee Guest

Question Guard rail on bed

Hey there. Charlie has been sleeping in his bed at night for about 2 1/2 weeks and during the day for about 4 days. We have one of those guard rail things on - you know, the kind that fits under the mattress - and he keeps playing with it when he's in his room. Not when he is going to sleep, just when he's mucking around with his toys and I'm scared he's going to break it, or try and climb over it and fall off or something. How long did everyone wait to take that off the bed with their bubs? Would appreciate any advice. Cheers.

Kellee, we didn't use a proper guard rail, I would just put a pillow under the mattress on the side of the bed so they had to roll uphill IYKWIM? it worked too and they stopped falling out of bed.

Could you possibly take it off when he is not in bed sleeping? that way he wont be able to play with it.

Sherie, I'd never thought about doing that with the pillow under the matress! Although with Blake's ferrari bed I won't have to bother as it's made 'car' shaped so it's high up about 25cm above the matress around the head.

Kellee, we actually put the cot mattress at the side of the bed so when DD fell out of bed she had a soft landing. I think she only fell out twice though and that was months after and we'd already moved the mattress. Gotta say, it was funny when she fell cause we'd hear a bang, go running into her room and she'd be fast asleep on the floor! It wouldn't have disturbed her at all!

Kellee - we did similar to wardy girl - we put the cot mattress on the floor as I was concerned if we put up the rail he wouldn't learn to not fall out as he had the tendancy in the cot to sleep tight up against the side and I thought he may do the same with the rail. He only fell out twice (and they were actually weeks after he started sleeping in the bed) which I was quite suprised at. We now don't have the cot mattress cause he's in a high bed so back to having sides again but he's still fine if sleeping in a normal bed - can even turn himself all the way round to be the wrong way up and not manage to fall out.

YEp we have the cot mattress on the floor as well. She has fallen out a few times because she's such an active sleeper & we have a built into the bed guard rail LOL... so the cot mattress helps catch her.

Kellee Guest

Thanks guys. I'll have to see about the mattress, but I'm a bit worried about it because firstly I need the mattress for No. 2 anytime now and secondly Charlie sleeps right up against the wall sometimes and I'm scared of him falling out! I will certainly think about the suggestions though - thanks heaps.