Thread: Gunky Eye

Default Gunky Eye

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what's the best plan of attack for a gunky eye. I've been to the chemist and they've told me to bathe it in saline solution and go to the doctor tomorrow if it's still there. I've been told that breast milk helps but I'm not breastfeeding so that's gone out of the window.

Just wondering if there is anything else I can do/use.

Thanks!!

Just keep using the saline solution and do it often - it really does work, even though it can sometimes take a little time if it is really bad. I found it easier to do it every nappy change. Also be sure to use a clean tissue, cloth etc when doing it so you don't transfer from one eye to the other kwim?

Kaitlyn had the same thing for about 2.5months on and off.

Our Pead told us it is very comment in babies and will usually come and go for the first three months. We used Saline and a clean cotton wool ball for each wipe. There is also a special massage (more like a wipe down ) of the eye...but you really need to be shown how to do it ..this apprantly clears the tear duct and helps remove the gunk.

I was also told by a pead there was a antibiotic that can help if it gets really bad, but then another one told me that it doesnt work.

I hope it clears up soon.

Charlie had SHOCKING eyes for the first 4 months. I tried saline & breast milk, and it came and went but I never could get rid of it totally.

It got really bad on an interstate trip and then I returned to the GP who prescribed an antibiotic ointment.......I wish I had got onto it earlier, because that finally cleared it up.......