Thread: Hair falling out!!

Default Hair falling out!!

Hi,

My little girl was born with really thick hair and at about 16 weeks (3 weeks ago) it started to fall out. She's getting bald patches all over. There is heaps all over her bed sheets and when I empty her bath there is heaps in the water too. Is it normal for a baby to lose their hair so late? She was born 3.5 weeks premature but I can't imagine that would have a bearing would it? I wasn't worried until just before when my FIL asked if it was normal. I assumed it was but the way he asked made me worry.....you know how it is, being a first time mum, everything stresses you!! Any comments would be appreciated Thanks.

Nik and Amy

Hi there Nic

My bub's hair did the same thing, he had a full head of hair, although he was around a month old when it started to fall out and it's just starting to grow back now and he's 5 months old.

Don't quote me on it but I'm fairly sure it's a pretty common thing!
    Hope this helps

it is def common, my son was born with a full head of hair - it thinned out while the new hair grew so he never really had bald patches but he has had stages it has been less thick. many ppl also told me he would lose all of it. i remember finding it EVERYWHERE esp in his capsule in the car!

Its quite normal...most babies born with thick or lots of hair will lose it or most of it in the first 6 months or so. You should see new stuff growing underneath, it may even be fairer, but it will grow back!!
    You'll probably find that she will start getting cradle cap now too. DD never had cc until she started losing and regrowing her hair! And she had sooo much thick dark hair when she was born...now its falling and being replaced with blonde redhair! lol

Yes it is quite normal, DD was born with masses of hair that started falling out at about 4 months. It only fell out in places and new stuff grew back very quickly. She still has lots of hair and even some original as it still hasn't been cut.

I also had the same thing happen to me as a baby but I was born with thick black hair but it all fell out and grew back blonde!!!!

Thank you so much for your reassurance. I suppose the areas aren't really bald, they just look bald because her hair has thinned so much. It does feel like it's growing back, must be fair because I can't really see it! I just didn't realise that it could start to fall out so late because everyone I've spoken to has said that their babies lost their hair when they were 4-8 weeks! Thanks again everyone. You've made me feel much better. Will be interesting to see what colour hair she ends up with!!

Luv Nik and Amy xx

My DD lost all her hair at around 4 to 5 months she had a head full of hair before that.
    I was a bit freaked out at first, she didnt loose any hair as a little baby.
    She now has long beautiful thick hair, so i wouldnt stress. Her hair is a dark brown now not to much different from the headful of black hair she had.