Thread: Harness for clicky hips

Default Harness for clicky hips

Olivia had her second u/s today and looks like she will need a harness for her hips as the right one dislocates. Has anyone had experience with this and what are we to expect. Also she has reall bad nappy rash with broken skin thats not clearing... any advice
    Cheers
    Melissa

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

there is a thread on hip dysplasia - in children's medical conditions our son Joel had it but shallow cups -not dislocating.He was in pavlik harness for 2 months from 4 to 6 months.

Hope it all goes well for Olivia

he didn't mind it so much as I did

The younger she is the better - Joel was breech and i month prem so they didn't scan him till almost 7 weeks, then waited another 5 weeks to re scan because he was prem and little. Then had to wait for appointment.

He is out of harness but due to ahve another xray next month to check progress.

Breast milk is GREAT for nappy rash (or so I've found). I express some at the end of a feed then either dunk a bit of cloth in it and wipe Caty's butt or I drip it onto her butt. I let it air dry a little then chuck her (cloth) nappy on. Apparantly the thicker the breast milk, the better it is for healing stuff. Also good for gunky baby eyes.

It will be easier in the cooler months - my SIL's baby had one on all summer and it was a PITA, but it looked worse than it was, really, and it hasn't affected the baby's mobility too much, so she won't have lost out on too much time.
    If you are still BFing, you can call the ABA counsellors and there is a couple who can talk to you about BFing positions while the harness is on. I know this because my SIL had to seek this same advice!

Thanks so much for the advice. We were lucky as the doctors picked it up the day before discharge home, then the sent us for a scan 10 days later, now all we are doing is waiting for the orthopead appointment, which we should have had but the maternity ward left it in the file and didnt fax it through. So they have put urgent on it and hopefully we can get an appointment soon.
    Its hard enough trying to out on double nappies without her getting too upset, so I'm left to wonder what it will be like with the harness.
    Anyway, thanks again
    Melissa

the harness stays on fulltime in our case the first month so no baths at all only sponges.Then is every 2nd day we could remove just for a bath .It has velcro straps that adjust/undo - I can email you a photo.

Oo Trish, I didn't realise Joel had a harness. Hope he gets the all-clear at his x-ray.
    Melissa, Chon's little Maya had the harness from birth to I think 10 weeks. She sent me pics because there was a chance Natalie would need one. Feel free to drop into December baby buddies to chat to her too if you like.

He came out of the harness a few days before christmas thankfully but had it put on a few days before his baptism .

Thanks so much for the photo trish, Adam and I had no idea what it looked like, I think i imagined something really restrictive and metal like!!!!
    Thanks Amy, will do.

Oh, that's sad for you Trish. You're right, I suppose, in that it probably doesn't bother them as much, but it just looks so uncomfortable... It is quite upsetting. I really hope the x-ray shows his hips are all good now

this is pretty much the one of the first 'braces' they try - Joel could still kick his legs and wriggle - the feet parts are like socks and can open the toes. Moved his arms no problem to bat the toys on the frame too.

There is another type with is like shoes but not a harness - I will try to send you a link to a site.

The brace is softly padded and lined and just need to check that no areas rub but mostly it is fine. Only rubbed behind his knees. Buy 1 size bigger clothes to fit over the top like nighties / button up - great for a girl. You could hardly see it with clothes over the top.

thanks Amy- I hope so too.