Thread: Hates Tummy Time......

Unhappy Hates Tummy Time......

Hi all,

I have been trying tummy time with Aiden each day and he just screams I have tried lying down with him, rubbing his back telling him its ok, trying to sooth him but nothing works!!! He does suffer from reflux (not too bad) could tummy time hurt his little belly???

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreicated... I know how important tummy time is...

Thanks a bunch
    Kez

try rolling up a small blanket or cloth nappy and place under his chest so he's elevated a little

Claire hated tummy time as well! Someone suggested to me to put her on her tummy on my tummy while I'm lying down, but for me to be reclined a bit. Hope that makes sense. I'm not very good at explaining things.

She was able to roll from tummy to back from about 3 months but I think it was about 5 months until she didnt scream every time I put her on her tummy!

DS hated tummy time, then when he started to roll at about 14 weeks he would rather be on his tummy now than his back!!!
    I would try the towel thing and see how you go, some babies just hate tummy time and nothing will help.
    Good luck

FluffyLaRue Guest

Not one of my 4 have enjoyed tummy time at first, but once their muscle tone improves they enjoy propping themselves up and looking around. I'm not sure about a towel? It may be counter productive as tummy time helps them develop muscle tone and head control.

Hi,

DS hated it aswell so I used to put him on a pillow so it didn't hurt his tummy. It's only now at 4 months that he will stay like it but he still whinges after about a minute. Maybe just start with 10 seconds and build it up each day.

Jesse hated it also, so i didnt push it too much. He did everything the same time if not earlier than those at his age.

I'm not a great example to you, Kez, cause my DD hated tummy time too, and she's a late crawler. But when we did tummy time I'd prop her in front of a mirror (she just loves herself, bless her) and that bought me another minute or two.
    The rolled-up towel is still productive in the early days: their arms are out in front of the towel, so they can still push themselves up, and they still have to hold their head up.

Both of mine disliked tummy time at first. I did what Karina suggested and put them on their tummies on my tummy. They loved being close and looking at my face while they did their tummy time. After a couple of weeks they enjoyed being on the floor to do it...I just put something interesting to look at in front of them.

Good morning

Firstly thanks so much for the tips!!! Today is a new day and I am looking forward to trying tummy time, now that I have an action plan thanks to you lovely ladies

Snacks- ohhhh so cute that your DD liked to check out herself out!!

Once again thank you!! Where would I be without BB!!

My girls were had reflux as well and hated tummy time. I didn't push it as they would just puke and scream. They both learned to scoot more than actually crawl and were slower at rolling and such but it hasn't made any difference in the long run. They may have been slower to do those things anyway. As they are laid back and relaxed kids. They are on target or ahead of peers in all areas so no harm done.

My DS used to hate tummy time too untill i discovered the joys of baby massage! At mothers group we massaged their fronts, legs and arms and then turned them over to do their backs and I thought DS would scream but he loved it and then spent about 5 mins pushing himself up and looking around much to my amazement! Now he really enjoys it and will do 5 or more mins at a time- thats big for me cos he used to scream after 10 seconds
    Good luck
    xox

Kez, what do you mean 'liked'? Even now, I put her in front of a mirror when I need to do something for a couple of seconds and say, 'there you are - have some quality time with your favourite baby' LOL!!! She will chat to herself for a good while.
    Awesome that your little one likes massage, nay What a cool activity to do at mothers group!

I saw this and just had to pop in. Jensen absolutely *hated* tummy time... to the point where I wouldn't do it, even for a minute, coz he just screamed the house down. I was at the Health Nurse the other day and she said that his neck wasn't strong enough and to roll up the towel and put it underneath him. He still hated that. So, I ditched the towel, but kept at it, for a few minutes only a few days a week. Then all of a sudden, on Monday just gone ( a wk before he tuned 3months), he liked it! He only lasts about 5mins but still. He smiles and gurgles while he's enjoying it! Try and get something he likes there to play with him. Get down to his level and show him what to do, as if it was your exersize so he can copy.

HTH - hang in there!

I place my ds on a beach ball and gently roll him backwards and forwards- he loves it! He also likes laying on his tummy on his change table- especially after a bath when he is naked!

My DD hated tummy time too and I was told that reflux babies frequently do hate it. With her reflux she spent a lot of time on me, including sleeping on her tummy on my chest, with me almost lying down at the end (cos Mummies need sleep too!). I worried about it too but my MCHN said that sleeping and lying on me is tummy time in itself - tummy time doesn't have to be flat on his tummy on a mat on the floor. She's now 6.5 months and I can't get her off her tummy - she refuses to sleep in her cot any other way.