Thread: Having a bad month - not coping...please tell me it's a phase

Unhappy Having a bad month - not coping...please tell me it's a phase

DD2 is almost 17 months and for the past three weeks the tantrums have been unbearable. She wakes up before five so ends up really tired and grumpy all morning, then has a sleep mid morning, ok after that and then later on the tantrums start again. When DD2 is ok, then DD1 starts up. I'm not getting good sleep at the moment so that exacerbates the problem. I just want to know if this behavior is the norm for a 17 month old? I can't remember with DD1 because I was in a newborn fog. I know it will end and it's probably just teeth (she just got her molars and her canines are on the way) but I guess I'm feeling fragile and just need some reassurance. I love having them close together and wouldn't have done it any other way but boy it's hard sometimes....thanks for reading xx

Yes, it will pass but warning you another stage will be entered but hey that's just them growing up.
    It is hard work at this age but soon you will look back and marvel at how fast they have grown.
    When your youngest one is down for a nap get no1 to have a rest as well. I used to tell them it was not for a sleep but for a rest, we used to call it a reading rest, and they had to be on the bed or couch either playing or reading. Often they would fall asleep for a bit but it was enough to get them through. You could also take this time to have a rest yourself.

I just wanted to sympothise,my 18month old DD is doing the same,i feel like im not coping sometimes and its so hard,i have not suggestions except i too hope its a phase and hope like me you get some reassurace in knowing yor so not alone!!

babe. Yes totally normal, yes it will pass, and yes I totally understand. My two aren't close together but 4 brings it's own challenges. Some days I feel so drained.

yep similar issues here too DD can scream for aggggggggggggges, it crazy!

Yup DD1 was shocking at that age, and still isn't the best sleeper either, so is pretty cranky now. So I hear ya!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivlas View Post
    Yes, it will pass but warning you another stage will be entered but hey that's just them growing up.
    It is hard work at this age but soon you will look back and marvel at how fast they have grown.
    When your youngest one is down for a nap get no1 to have a rest as well. I used to tell them it was not for a sleep but for a rest, we used to call it a reading rest, and they had to be on the bed or couch either playing or reading. Often they would fall asleep for a bit but it was enough to get them through. You could also take this time to have a rest yourself.
    I really appreciate the suggestion but it doesn't work unfortunately. DD1 is past that point.

Thank you to everyone for their reassurance.
    Kim, woah four.....woah. I take my hat off to you! x
    1pj and olive, thank you for letting me know I'm not alone although I'm sorry you're going through it too.

Mel - thank you so much x

This afternoon they were both absolute perfection. They must have known that they'd broken me. Both are in bed and I'm enjoying a hard earned glass of wine. Here's to tomorrow! Cheers! lol xx

Mine were older than yours are when I enforced this so this might be easier when they hit the 3 year mark. I had to enforce it for my sanity as well as their well being.

it is a hard time for little ones as they need the rest but fight so hard not to have one.

It's amazing when they suddenly have a good day when you are at breaking point. Hope you are enjoying the peace & quiet and your glass of wine

Thanks rivlas. Last night wasn't great but I've resigned myself to just getting through it. DD1 does have quiet time when DD2 is asleep but no sleep yesterday of course!! Today is a new day