Thread: head lice

Default head lice

1. i seem to have picked up headlice from somewhere. is it safe to use the chemical based shampoos asi am breastfeeding. i have tried a natural one but it didnt work. any recommended brands??

2. can my 10 week old daughter catch head lice from me (she has hair) and if so how would i treat it?

You could use a bit of tea tree oil on her if she does get it. but I found that when my older two had it a while back, Paige never got them becuase she still have the fine baby hair. Besides, babies wouldn't have much for them to grab onto kwim?

For yourself, I really don't think that it would hurt ot use other treatments while BF because you aren't using them over a continued period. To successfully get rid of them, you need to treat every 7 days, the time it takes for the eggs to hatch into live lice. Treatment is innefective against the eggs until they hatch. I can take about 1 month to get rid of them completely and make sure you have every least one gone.

ETA - ATM I have here Enviro Care lice treatment that I got from the health food shop and that works well if used according to the directions.

wild child products are great they also have a headlice prevention spray ( made from essential oils) which is great from stopping them comming back you just get them from the supermarket i used them while BF

you know that cheap white conditioner and a lice comb is supposed to be the best thing
    you leave the conditioner on and it suffocates the bugs then comb thoroughly with a nit comb and repeat daily for a few days (i think this one is easier to do to your children then yourself)

Now my head feels itchy!!!

I agree about the conditioner, but you need to repeat it every three days in case you've missed a few. Ask a friend to help you so you get all of them!
    Good luck, they are nasty lil critters!
    :-)

I agree with all of the above.. Just make sure you keep on top of it and maybe get your mum to help you get all the eggs can be time consuming but worth it in the long run.. Good luck