Thread: head shape..opinions pplease

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Default head shape..opinions pplease

Hey
    Im a bit worried about Isabells head shape. She seems to have a flat spot which to me looks like its moved the positions of her ears, and possibly face. I dont know how to describe it properly, but ive uploaded a few pictures so i can get your opinions. They dont really tell the story to the extent that Ben and I see it, but they tell some of it.
    We have tried to face her to the opposite side as often as we can, but it seems to have made no improvement. We took Isabell to a Chiro and he said her skull wasnt alligned with her spine, which was the cause for her facing one side only, which has resulted in this flat spot. He has corrected it, so hopefully it will go away with time.
    Im just wanting your opinions on what you see, if its really as bad as i think it is, if we should be doing more to fix it etc.
    Top View
    Front View
    Back View

I think if she were my (gorgeous - she is gorgeous!!) bubba, I'd be worried like you are Meg.
    Maybe book her into your GP see if she needs a reaferral to a pead. But you're right, sometimes they just sort them out by themselves.
    Plagiocephally can cause repercussions in later life.

~Belinda~ Guest

She is cute. I would probably go see GP and they will refer you to a Paed. At least she is only 2 months old and you are aware of it so it can be fixed. Our DD had a flat spot on the back of her head, we saw Paed, he gave us some recommendations on how to sleep and it's almost gone now, she likes to sleep on alternative sides. Good luck!

It doesn't seem too bad to me from the pics, but it can't hurt to talk to someone about it. While it may well correct itself, no doubt you will feel loads better if you investigate and do as much as you can. Even if you get told by a paed, 'don't waste my time, there's nothing wrong with this baby!' (which would be mighty rude, lol), at least you can feel reassured that she's a-ok.
    BTW, I agree with Kim, she is soooo gorgeous

Definately get it checked out. There is a condition called tortacullus (sp?) which is a shortening of the neck muscles causing bubs to turn her head to one side. Chiro alone probably wont help if this is the case. Physio will sort it out and they'll teach you how to do the stretches and help.
    We went though it with DD, her head looked very similar to your beautiful DD. I used both physio and chiro and her flat spot disappeared very quickly. But things you can do in the mean time is put her toys to one side so she has to turn her head. When you hold her, hold her on the side that she has to turn to look forward. Anything to encourage her to look to the other side.

You've picked it up early so she will be fine

Some good advice here Mummymeg... One thing you can do is to give her lots of tummy time and once she has good head control, give her more time upright (in a sling or on your knee). But i'd get it checked out if I were you because there may be more little physio exercises you can do to help

what has your CMHN said about it? sophies wasnt too bad but bad enough for me to worry, it was gone away but has taken til now (20 months) to do so, id also get it checked out

Enchanted Guest

I don't think it's too bad hun. Oscar had a flat side which has pretty much come back out now. We took him to a chiro a few times which aligned everything again and he was much better after that. As the others have suggested, just make sure she gets plenty of tummy time and watch the way she sleeps. If she favours one side just move her head to the other side when you go in to check on her. It will take a bit of time to come out but don't stress.. it will

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Thanks every one for your replies,
    We did mention it to the GP on our 6w check up, and he said nothing to be concerned about, and we also did mention to the MCHN and she didnt really make any helpful comment.
    Both the Chiro and DP have said its not as bad any more but i still worry. I might look into getting it checked out again by a diff doc or my usual MCHN (the one i saw was a fill in and no help at all with anything!)

Hi Mummymeg, Charli had this too. The Child health nurse said they see this so commonly these days because with the SIDS recomendations babies don't sleep on their tummies like they used to.
    Get the paed to check it out just to be sure.
    There is something you can buy to put under bubs head when they sleep, I think it is sort of a wedge shape thingy and gently makes them face their head slightly the opposite way. I think baby shops sell them. But it was pointless us getting one for Charli because she was too old and moved around in the cot too much by the time I found out these things existed.
    Like someone else said, it's good to give her lots of tummy time to take the pressure off that part of her head, or perhaps when you have her sitting up in a rocker/bouncer you could gently put a bit of a rolled up hand towell or old cloth nappy under the side she usually favours so her head is facing slightly the other way, and to again, alleviate a bit of pressure off the flat spot for a little while.
    I've found with Charli that since she has been able to sit up her head has gotten much better.

HTH

My friends baby had some skull and neck issues and she took him to see a Cranial Osteopath who worked wonders, you should have a search and see if there are any that practise in your area. :-)

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Ooh i forgot to mention we use a rolled up towel to not let her face her favoured side. It seems to help, but i might look intp getting a wedge thingy.

HEy Mummymeg,
    I can see what youre talking about, but its not too bad. Theres been some great suggestions here too. My dd was in a hip harness for 6.5months and developed a very flat head. She also only turned to one side. Physio got us to approach her from the other side and also to put her toys on the less favoured side. It only took a few weeks to start getting her to looking in the other direction. Also tummy time and sitting up when she has more head control. Shes only 2 months, so you have plenty of time to get it rounder. DD is now 15 months and her fontenelle is still open a bit, so there is still more room for her head to round out. Its so much better than what it was in November.
    Good luck