Thread: Health Centre Checkups

Colleen Guest

Default Health Centre Checkups

Hey Everyone....

Now, I know my little boy is a big healthy baby butthe health centre nurse only wants to see Jaykob every 2 months.

Jaykob was born in Darwin and for the first 2 months they saw him every week and then she said she would like to see him every 2 weeks which i thought was ok?

Then we travelled back to Melbourne, he hadnt been seen for a checkup for a month ( which i told the nurse) and she booked him in for 4 weeks later ( for 4 mth needles) I took him to a gp in the meantime for a few small queries but the health centre nurse said " they just dont have the time"
    So after his 4mth needles she re booked him in for 6 month needles and I was like " can we see you earlier for a checkup" and she said no :-s

So im wondering - how often do you go for bubs checkups? Should I consider finding another place to go? im on the mornington peninsula - does anyone know of a good centre????

thanks! Colleen

Hi Colleen
    I think it is only when babies are newborns/very young that they like to give them checkups more frequently, like every 2 weeks.
    Saying that though, I have only ever taken Aidyn to the nurse 3 times, and he is now over 12 months...(however, I did take him to the GP for all of his immunisations and when he has been sick)
    It sounds like the system in the NT where you last were, was a lot more personal perhaps? Which is fantastic of them to be giving much needed support to new mums.

From what I know, the child health centres in the big cities usually are really busy... I had to wait 6 weeks after booking an appt for Aidyn once. I guess they would probably only want to see Jaykob more regularly if he had any ongoing health problems/concerns?

Heres a suggestion - ask around at your local chemists to see if they have any Child Health nurses that come in.
    Up here at my local Amcal, we have a nurse that comes in every Wednesday... so we just go to the counter and book ourselves in for a short appt. And we usually only have to do it 1 or 2 weeks beforehand - which is better than having to wait at least a month to get into the child health centres.

HTH!

ragged_blossom Guest

The nurse in our town insists on checking my 18mth old son every month! She even calls in to our house to check how he's doing. Efficient, but a little annoying too at times.

mooshie Guest

hi mummylovesjaykob

with lani i only went every fortnight till she was 6wks - then it was 8wks, 12wks, 4mth, 6mths, 8mths (well that will be on monday) then i don't know when - i mentioned to my health nurse that i remember going alot more with my first and she said yes with the first you go more, but if i felt i needed to go more with lani to just let her know.

i know some chemists have a mchn once a week or so come in and you can go there whenever - there is one at endeavour hills every tuesday i think - she is great (alot nice than the one i have lol) maybe ask around or check your local chemist to see if they have one so you can go whenever you feel the need.

on another note i remember with my first 2 they had a hearing distraction test at 8mths but my mchn told me they don't do this anymore - is this right?

there seems to be cut backs everywhere.

8-[ I've taken Matilda four times to the ECHN...and only when there's something going on behaviourally.... I guess I figured she saw the GP enough with reflux that she didn't need any other checks.

I have had the same appointments as Michelle. I was going there every two weeks when we first found out Alana had CF, but that was so we could keep an eye on her weight. It was not requested by them. Now we are going just before her Paed app. Which is good because I hate going to them.