Thread: "he'll sleep well tonight"

Default "he'll sleep well tonight"

I'm so sick of hearing this, from friends and relatives when we're out and the kids are running about. It must be wonderful for them, that they're kids tire out and sleep well after a big day.

So why is DS the complete opposite?

It feels like the bigger day he has, the worse he sleeps, and its always been the same as long as I can remember. The later he stays up at night, the earlier he wakes. Very occasionally, he'll have a longer than normal sleep maybe 48 hours *after* the "big day" but never the night itself.

OMG!!!!

I could have written that exact!

We are going to my parents tomorrow for my dads birthday, and I was trying to say that we can't make it a big day or Jazz won't sleep.

but no I keep getting told "Oh, no, it'll wear her out, she'll sleep really well i bet!"...Uh, no, I know my child, the bigger the day the worse she is at night!!!!

I'm so sick of hearing "she'll sleep well tonight" after a day of her having less than an hour from dawn to dusk... If only it worked like that!

i guess it does suck being told that but i think its like us adults if we have a huge day we a knackered at the end so usually sleep fairly solidly...

maybe he is just the type that gets over stimulated so there for has to process it all first before going to sleep (and because sleep is when we do even more processing of our day) he then isnt having a good sleep on those nights still...kwim?

to me sleep breads good sleep, mine always slept better when they had a restfull day lol. So if it was full on their night sleep was horrid.

I find that if Pip doesn't have a nap, then he's hell that night. And ifhe's had a big day, it's me that needs to "sleep well tonight"!!!

It's touch and go after a big day. The thing with a big day means that DD#2 misses her arvo nap, which means she gets over tired, which means she becomes more ratty which means she is harder to settle. My girls also don't understand the concept of sleeping in after a late night either

Then on the other hand, if DD#1 has a nap or DD#2 has too long a nap, well they don't sleep well at all for aaaaaages coz they are too wired!

I've had those comments before and sometimes they are right and other times they couldn't be more wrong! When told my little ones will sleep well tonight I've replied before, "you don't know her very well" and smiled.

Our DS #1 is exactly the same if it mkes you feel any better!!!!!!

its the change of routine I think. When I go out for the day Ash looses all routine of day sleeps and up and down time. Come that night he is so tired he WONT sleep and is often up with me till 10.30pm instead of his normal bed time of 7!

Same here Ray! We always get it after swimming lessons.......um, no, swimming (in fact being in any water) hypes DS up for hours! I feel your pain, I get really sick of it too.

Mine are the same.. I find they are sometimes harder to get to sleep.. especially DD.. She sleeps terribly if we aren't home within a reasonable time for bed..

Oh rayray I hear ya.

It was Zander's birthday yesterday & he had preschool too. So he was up early, in bed late & was running round with heaps of people here last night. He woke screaming every 15-20 minutes from 10.30pm until 3.00am because he was so overtired & once he'd go out of a sleep cycle he'd wake. Poor baby.

Same here!!

DS just gets over tired and whiney........ doesn't sleep well at all. Sleeps best when he has a good sleep during the day.

He only slept for half hour yesterday at Day Care and had a horrible sleep lastnight..... just awful.

I think they get overstimulated and overtired and yup... don't sleep as well.

Yep DD is the same, I always try to get home a couple hours before bedtime just to give her quiet wind down time after a big day but still makes no difference.

We usually put her to bed 7:30ish but after a big day it'll take her til like 9:15 to get to sleep cause she is still so wound up.

And staying up late I really try to avoid cause if she is overtired, hard to settle and in a foul mood the next day and of course I'm the one who has to deal with it!

MIL always says exactly the same!

& as always all my kids go to bed later, but then wake up earlier than usual! I'd love them to sleep in coz I stayed up late too & need the sleep in, but it never happens, lol!

Its mean to say thank g-d im not the only one..but its nice to know we're not alone at the same time.
    He stil awake now - normally alseep by 8ish, becuase we refused to sleep today so as a result he fell asleep int he car at 5:30 tongiht and slept til 7. And he'll still be up around 5:30 tomorrow!

I'm nodding....Paige has just gone down after her big day out with Nanny - she will be restless all night and awake early.

I think the theory only works if the kids r a little bit older..

only in the last year or so has Cierra really crashed after a big day. If we are in the car driving home at say 5 she'll drop off and wont wake till 6 the next morning say.

BUT it doesnt always work like that, If she goes to bed after 9 or so she'll still be up at 5, banging on our bedroom door.