Thread: HELP!!! 1yo passing out...

Default HELP!!! 1yo passing out...

Hi!

I'm going to be taking him to the dr tomorrow or Friday but anyone that can help for now would be great!

When my 1yo Dylan has a tantrum he ends up winding himself up so much that he literally passes out...it's only for a second and he's all dopey and then after a minute he's back to normal again...
    It's so scary and although he'd only done it 2 times in the last 6 months in the last week it's happened twice so now I'm really worried that there's something wrong...It's only ever when he's having a tantrum though and he has some great one's for his age that's for sure.
    I worry especially as when it happened the other day he was walking as he was crying so he ended up falling flat on his face so I'm worried as well that he may end up hurting himself...

Any advice/stories would be great! Thanks!! I'll post in childrens medical conditions as well...

It could be that he is depriving himself of oxygen temporarily while he is having the tantrum and having a mini fainting spell. It's like chn who hold their breathe until they pass out. Let us know what the dr thinks.

did you get to the docs. yet Kristie?
    I know DS used to hold his breath when he was angry/frustrated, but not to the point of passing out, I cant imagine how scary that must be!
    I hope that they can give you some advice.

Chelsea has begun holding her breathe now in tantrums too...but not as far as Dylan....i hope the dr can be of some help. All the best.

Hi!

Been to the dr's...didn't seem all that concerned but have referred Dylan to a paed just to be safe...

So no real news yet...It's a good sign he wasn't too worried though I'm thinking!!

Shall keep you informed! Thanks!

Hugs Kris....it usually means its a common thing anyway when they arent too worried....keep us posted! Hugs to all your boys

Hope the paed can shed some light for you..if he is doing it only during tantrums then the easiest to explain explanation is that he is breath holding and he passes out until his carbon dioxide levels come down (the bodies safe guard to make us breath), but it seems like a rather extreme breath hold! Maybe it is relatively common, will be keeping an eye on this thread..hope he doesn't have too many more tantrums in the mean time, for your sanity!

Enchanted Guest

Glad to hear that the Dr doesn't seem too worried. It must give you a fright though you poor thing

A friend of mine has a DD who used to hold her breath to the point of passing out. It was scary but luckily she outgrew it.

Sounds like fairly classic breath-holding episodes to me. It's not as uncommon as you would think. and it's also self-limiting - he'll hold his breath utnil he gets dizzy and falls over, and styart breathing again straight away.

oh my DS use to do this all the time, the first time he did it he was just over 1 and stood on a little kiddies chair and fell and bumped his head so off to hospital we rushed as we were not sure if it was the fall or something else, in the ambulance the ambo said it was a very normal occurance for a toddler to do this, that they had many calls about this each day/week and that when toddler does this one thing is for sure once they pass out they begin to breathe normally automaticaly,

I then noticed he would do it any time he hurt himself quit a bit or just had a tantrum. he had scans and all sorts but was just fine.

My sister also use to do this too, she would just scream and scream till she couldnt breathe then pass out and begin breathing normally again.

I have no idea why they do it, at a guess I would just say its them just getting to wound up and not knowing how to stop kwim??, and then with the passing out for a second it makes them breathe again and then slowly come to so that they can calm down,

hugs sweets its not an easy thing to see your baby do thats for sure.