Thread: Help! Antibiotics that taste yuk for a 3 yr old

Exclamation Help! Antibiotics that taste yuk for a 3 yr old

Anyone got any suggestions on how best to hide the test of amoxycillin liquid? Evan needs to have 4mls 3 times a day & it tastes/smells bloody awlful! Its cherry flavoured & the very little that does, I think just makes it worse.If I had to take this stuff I wouldn't so how am I going to expect my 3 yr old to drink it willingly?

I took him to the dr this afternoon because he has had a itchy rash flair up the past 2 nights. It looks red with lots of raised white little (match head little) lumps. The first night I though something must have been in his clothes & was biting him or something. But it happened again last night & while the rash clears up with in minutes of appearing its very itchy & re occurs every hour or so, in different places on his body (legs, shoulder blades, fore head, arms, stomach, tail bone) for at least 6 hours after it first happens. It really puzzled me what was causing it. Dr said he has pus on his tonsilles (took a swap) & his left ear drum was red & sore looking. No temp & no sign of the rash & perfectly normal in himself. Dr seems to think the rash is a immune response to an infection & has started him on the antibiotics seems his ear & throat look sore. Has said I can give him anti histamines if the rash happens again. If he is worse in the morning to take him back. if no response to the Ab's then its likely to be a viral infection.

BUT HOW DO I MAKE HIM DRINK THE ANITBIOTICS??

Melinda Guest

I'm just wondering if you can put it in some juice or something like that? Or perhaps a warm milo? You're probably best to double-check what it says about that on the medication itself, or to ask the pharmacist though, before you go and do that......but that's the only thing I can think of??

Poor little tiger.....

I tried orange juice but its till too over powering. 4 mls to a cup of juice, you would think it would become undetectable but nope!

I always give the antis via a syringe, so it quickly gets squirted in, then follow up with a juice chaser,

mooshie Guest

fiona

don't know if this would help or not but my ds had a bad case of bronchitos last year and the stoopid hospital gave him a terrible antibiotic that made him throw up everywhere - there was no way he was going to have anymore, so i took him to the gp the next day and she agreed amoxil (sp) would do the trick rather than the stronger drug the hospital gave him and amoxil comes in a range of different flavours (i believe even chocolate) however my ds got given some chewable amoxil which was fantastic - he was 5 at the time and had been used to taking chewable vitamins previously. maybe that could be an option. he even won't take panadol anymore becuase of what happened - i think he has inherited his mummy's vomit phobia pmsl, so thankfully there are chewable panadol for kids.

good luck hope you find a way for the medicine to go down.

oh i just rememered that when ds threw up the first lot of antibiotics the doc at the hospital said wait around 15mins then have them again and they are okay in something like cordial, he also said it was a better chance for it to stay down once the tummy was empty - unfortunately one whiff of the stuff and ds threw up again.

good luck

I just tried Juice again with out him knowing & he drank it so hopfully as long as he doesn't catch me adding it to his drink we will get it down.
    He likes panadol but is suss about anything that doesn't look the same. The Ab's are white like milk. He actually said to me when I just offered it to him stright from the medicin cup that he will die if he drinks that! :eek:
    I tasted it before I offered it in the juice and thought no way!, but he seems easier to trick then I thought.