Thread: help girls - re spider scare and using spray with toddlers

Default help girls - re spider scare and using spray with toddlers

hi girls

I went to a baby warehouse yesterday and the inlaws kindly paid for Julia's new carseat (SNS maxirider) great! however, just as they were finalising payment, less than 1 meter away from me was a redback spider, scared the [email protected] outta me, they guy killed it and then got my carseat from his garage of the warehouse and then went about installing the carseat. Spiders are very much an ick factor for me, he walked out the box was already open so Im thinking I hope to god that there is no redback spider in there or in the carseat. I looked at the seat myself couldnt see anything but was scared as [email protected], he installed it and we were on our way, but im still scared as [email protected] now I am thinking what are the chances of having a redback in my car? What would you do? Im thinking about spraying the car with something however I am pregnant so not sure what. So went to coles and they told me most insect sprays not good for pregnancy... mothersafe said a surface spray would be ok when I called them when I got home, however she said maybe there is a natural alternative... so my question girls is 1) would you bother spray the car? on another website a toddler got bitten by a redback and was seriously ill in hospital and nearly died so im scared and 2) maybe there are some good ideas for natural alternative to surface spray so I can spray or wipe my car?

TIA

Bel
    xxx

Hi Belle
    Spiders hate the smell and taste of lemon zest. Take the zest of a few lemons. Soak it in boiling water. Use this water to wipe spray the car. It will not kill the spiders but hopefully because they do not like they will leave the car.

If all else fails, put the car in the sun (if you have any currently!) and roast the eight legged critter.

Good suggestion Alan and I like your suggestion too Courtney! I drove the car today and was scared but looked around before I put Julia in her carseat to make sure she would be ok... fingers crossed no spider as I dont want to spray the car with the sprays iykwim.

When we moved into the house I was 7.5 months pregnant and the first day there were 2 redbacks in the lounge and heaps in the garden bed bricking...freaked the hell outta me too!!

I doubt thatyou will have one in the car though...if the other one came out of the carseat box or was it just in the shop?? As far as I can remember Redbacks arent social spiders (like huntsmans) they live/travel alone, so chances are there wont be another one.