Thread: Help Me Stop Her Climbing

Default Help Me Stop Her Climbing

DD1 climbs everything, she's adventurous, she's full on and she knows what she wants.
    She's very careful and hasn't really fallen off anywhere high BUT lately she has been climbing our kitchen table to get to the fruit bowl.
    Yesterday she managed to bite into then peel 2 mandarins and ate half a pear - she's not even 2 yet!
    This morning she has climbed the chairs onto the table and gotten fruit again, last night her dad got a roll from the table, we were in the lounge and could hear her yelling DADDY so i gave DD2 to DP and went in, sure enough she was on the table asking for a roll... calling her dad as she KNOWS he gives in b4 me...

So what can i do to STOP her climbing everything she sees, she has no fear even when she does fall from something she's straight back on it.

There are not many places for me to put the fruit bowl, the table is the best place.... hmmmmm

You can't The best you can do is engage damage control.

And high places only work so long, we put our junky treats on the mantel in the kitchen (quite high up) and our toddler can reach them IF she stands on a stuffed toy on her chair. She's long passed getting the food on the top shelf of our pantry. She's currently working on scaling our bookshelves to get to all the more interesting books on the higher shelves.

And one of the more dangerous in this house - she has tried several times to make herself toast but hasn't quite done it yet. Only a matter of time. Then the next thing I bet she'll try and make me coffee

keep a spray bottle of water handy and spray her like a cat..

no..maybe don't try that...lol

Could you maybe get a cheap nest table (the lower ones) that you can put the fruit bowl on?

OR just strap loads of cushions to her and let her go for it!! LOL

Sorry I have no real constructive advice. I'm dreading my little one becoming more mobile. We bought this house before she was born and really didn't put much thought into the layout - it's very very open planned - we're going to need to buy a million gates and play pens!! LOL

Hope someone else has some advice!
    Sue x

This sounds horrible but it's not really her falling that worries me at the moment, it's the half eaten pears and mandarins i'm finding in the fruit bowl or around the house...
    She has quite good balance but she's started dancing on our coffee table aswell as those of ppl's houses we visit and no matter how often i tell her no, take her off even smack her on the hand it's not working.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

DS1 is a climber as well onto kitchen table!!! Drives me insane!!!! Funny thing is not a big climber at safe places like playgrounds and play centres!!!

I know what you mean about food, I cant stand food everywhere!!!! yuck yuck yuck

Sorry no help but at least you know not alone.

wish I had some fantastic advice, but after DS learned to climb the bunk ladder at 7months old I'm still struggling with it. You def aren't alone.
    We keep our fruit in the fridge for that very reason.
    Running out of places for the TV remotes though....

ps just a random thing...I dreamt of you and your 2 girls this morning.....

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kim~ View Post
    ps just a random thing...I dreamt of you and your 2 girls this morning.....
    OMG really, what were we doing... hehe how funny.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kim~ View Post
    Running out of places for the TV remotes though....
    Ours are on top of a box on top of a large speaker on top of the tv which is on top of a fairly high cabinet. My 9yo can barely reach up there. There's all sorts of other not-toddler-safe stuff up there too.

We have a really big old CRT television, its actually so convenient having a big fat tv you can stack things on like that that we are putting off upgrading to a LCD one

Don't know! I'm going through the same thing too ATM. I am considering buying something she can climb like a frame or gym thingy.

When DS2 was going through the climbing stage I had to take everything off the kitchen bench so that there wasn't much to get into up there, but that doesn't work for this one. Just this afternoon she climbed into the sink and turned the tap on. Had a nice cold bath

It's hard here too as she moves the furniture, although she's small it's nothing for her to move our big heavy wooden chairs and climb things.
    When she was younger she pulled out the drawers on her tallboy and used them as a ladder, lucky she didn't go 1 more it would have tipped.

We have the same thing in our house!! We keep the fruit bowl on top of the fridge. Last night, I went out of the room very briefly and DS climbed the stool at the breakfast bar and I found him on the kitchen bench

I don't have much advice either except to watch carefully and hope the phase ends soon!! That's all I can do