Thread: HELP - Moving 2.5yr old out of Mum and Dad's bed !!!

Unhappy HELP - Moving 2.5yr old out of Mum and Dad's bed !!!

Okay, where do I start. Basically our 2.5yr old DS sleeps with us and it is driving me crazy... Because he is getting big he takes up more of the bed than say a year ago but he is kicking and scratching and pushing his sharp finger and toe nails under my body... it's driving me crazy to the point that I have been sleeping in the spare bed and DH can sleep with him. We tried again (yes, again) to try and get him to sleep in his "Big Bob Bed" even bribing him telling him that there will be no WIggles DVD in the morning if he doesn't sleep in his big bed. I am thinking about taking his mattrass and putting it on the floor in our bedroom to start with because it just ends in a screaming match at 11:00pm at night. As DH has to work and we also have a 15 week old bub, it takes too much effort and we just cave in!!! Has anyone else had this experience and what have you done to get them to sleep in their own bed... The other thing I was thinking was putting a toddler gate across his door, so he can still see out and this means we don't have to shut the door. Sorry for the essay - would love to hear from people... Thanks xxoo

I have been through this too, my 4.5 year old still comes into my bed sometimes but we have a king size bed and if she annoys me i take her back into her bed.

I found with my DD1 who was in our very small double bed every night that it took 2-3 nights of constantly taking her back into her bed until she got the message. We made a fuss of making her room really pretty etc with new doona cover. It is so frustrating but we had to get tough as nobody was getting any sleep.

The gate may work, then you can hear him crying and you can go back and settle him into bed again.

Good luck!!!!

Did you DD1 scream and cry and carry on or was it "okay mum, lets go back to my big bed". We have done DS's room up really nice, tried to make it his very own space but he doesn't seem to care. I have mentioned to DH about getting a king bed and he laughed at me followed by "NO WAY"... hee hee

Hi,

All I can suggest is just keep putting him back in his bed and eventually he will stay there. Good luck

i had a similar problem with DS and ended up ringing parent helpline. They wre great and told me to never let him in our bed, always trya nd start off the night in his bed. if he wont stay in his bed or wakes u during the night and wont go back to his bed, get a pillow and blanket and tell him that he either sleeps in his nice cosy bed or he can sleep on the floor in your room. Dont make the floor too comfy in your room otherwise you'll never get him out of there. I am thinking we might have to try this soon as what was working now is not...

Ringing the parent helpline and having a chat to them would do wonders i reckon, GL

HI ~

have you tried hopping in bed with him? Maybe read him a story & lay with him until he falls asleep then gradually cut down the amount of time that you lay with him... Just an idea, I haven't had much experience with toddlers. I hope you find an answer.

Sometimes she would cry and carry on and in the end we did what widdly suggested made a bed on the floor and gave her the choice and she ended up wanting to go back to her bed.

I am going to try that tonight and hopefully he decides that bed is better than the floor - fingers crossed!!!!!

Good luck! If you are consistant and try not to cave which is soooooo hard when you are tired.