Thread: Help! My baby is obsessed with rolling

Question Help! My baby is obsessed with rolling

Natalie has just begun rolling from back to tummy (first time was 2 weeks ago at 5 1/2 months) Ever since she discovered she can do it, she is obsessed with it. Whenever she is put down on a flat surface on her back, off she goes. She always rolls to the left and has not figured out how to roll back from being on her tummy for a while. She will often wake up once or twice in the night and will roll, then call out to be rescued once she has had enough tummy time. I haven't been wrapping her lately as it seems to frustrate her, i just drape her wrap around her. I will often find her with her legs sticking out of the cot. It is hard to put her to bed sometimes when she is tired but insists on rolling, then becomes frustrated and cries. I dont know what to do... have tried the safe and sound pillows that sit on either side of bubs body. They work sometimes, but she won't have a bar of it at night and i worry about putting them in at night as she edges out of it..then there are pillows in the cot. Has anyone experienced the same sort of thing?? She was born 5 weeks early..which may explain the delay in rolling.. she is otherwise a very happy, social little baby.

Unfortunately there is not too much you can do about constant rolling. As they are learning what to do & it's all part of the development. Charlie at almost 8months has only just started rolling from his tummy to back after he is sick of being on his tummy, but will still cry out at night if he wakes on his tummy. It is frustrating when you pop them on the ground & they roll then cry & so on. I found this was around the time he started to want to sit up, so I would sit him up with pillows around him, or sit him in his highchair with toys or in a walker. As for sleeping to stop his legs getting stuck out of the cot I just started using a sleeping bag & this has worked well. HTH.

My DS loved to roll from back to tummy for a while but couldn't roll back either. I've tried everything, but eventually she will get used to sleeping on her tum. She will learn to roll back, even though Blake knew how to roll from tum to back to start off with, he forgot after he learnt the other way. Took maybe 3 weeks and now he is rolling everywhere and half crawling. He was born 4 weeks early so I know what it's like!

Thanks so much. It is such a relief to find that it is normal behaviour and other bubs are doing it too. I have been trying to teach her how to roll back.. but will give it some time. It just scares me coz she is so young but growing so fast! Thanks again, much appreciated

Oh yep Izzy is the same! There isn't much you can do - I find her with her feet and arms poking out of the cot!! After 2 weeks of it she now know how to go back to her back but at times does forget if she is a bit tired!!
    Enjoy it - it does go so fast doesnt it!